Feelings on the nikon d3100?

Hi all, wife and myself are looking to get our first DSLR. After having a look in Jessops we quite like the look of the Nikon D3100 with a 18-55 lens. We are also thinking that we may need a macro lens as other half does alot of close up pics for her blog. Any one got any feelings on the nikon and if we do need a macro? Or is anyone selling one second hand, or know a good place to get one second hand?

Well I have the Nikon D80 with the 18-55 VR lens, and in all honesty just look at some of the close ups you see on shave of the day, I cannot see why you would want to shell out on a macro lens, if anything I would advise you on getting a 18-105 or a 18-135, most importantly get yourself a good tripod and a reflector board and a wireless remote shutter, you can get as close as you like with that lens as long as you balance the right settings no problem.

Regards Jamie

What is the wife planning on taking pictures of? Macros are for really up close pictures?

Second hand d90 can be had for the same price. Far superior camera. You can easily learn photography on it. I would also look at canon 500 or 550, have a play with either camera

Macro not needed for that. Whats your budget?

Www. Camerapricebuster.co.uk

Dont be put off with 2nd hand cameras. If you want to save loads look at nikon d40. 200 quid gets you an excellent camera

Most half decent lenses will get close enough for web use. You can get as close as the lens will go, and then get busy with a crop tool. As long as you don't overdo the cropping, and you don't need to print the image in a large format, you should be okay.

The image below was shot with a D80 and a 105 VR macro lens, which us a proper close up lens.

Red Tailed Bumble Bee by Ian Myatt Images, on Flickr

This second image was show with an 18-135 Nikon lens. This is the 'kit' lens that comes with the D80.

Bird's FootTrefoil and Red Tailed BB by Ian Myatt Images, on Flickr

Not much in it on screen, but the second one doesn't print very well because it was more severely cropped than the first.

I've not used a D3100 in anger but have handled them. Nikon (and Canon for that matter) are improving the quality of their image sensors and processing all of the time, and the 3100 can probably shoot at high ISO settings with less noise than my D80.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom