Feathers - Rough?

I'm sat here with smooth but uncomfortable face, am I the only person who finds feather blades rough?

No pressure used and my technique has improved since last I tried them but I think they are going to be a blade that doesn't suit me and I've tried them in several razors. My 1st usage of them was promising in that they gave me no more discomfort than any other blade but a closer shave however since I have improved my technique over the last 6 months they still give me discomfort where other blades do not. I know that they very sharp but I get as good a shave from several other blades and without discomfort.

Given what seems to be a universal appreciation of these blades I've kept going back to them but I'm not sure I'll persist further.

Yes I know YMMV but I cant help feeling like I'm the only person who doesn't like these blades.

Nic - I get on fine with Feathers but had the same experience as you when I used Kai blades. First use was fine, but thereafter they were just incredibly rough and made a right mess of my face / neck.

I think it's just that some blades just don't suit some people's skin / stubble, so you're right when you say YMMV.

How many Feathers do you have left? I could be interested in buying them from you. :D

Have you tried them is just the one razor for, say a couple of weeks?

I know that different razors require adjustments in technique.

I found them rough at first. But they have been my only blade for months now. My razor rotation is practically zero.

Jeltz said:
I'm sat here with smooth but uncomfortable face, am I the only person who finds feather blades rough?

No. There are a lot of people that can't use them. I'm okay with them for a few days, but they can start to irritate me.

Ian

Smell The Glove said:
Have you tried them is just the one razor for, say a couple of weeks?
Errr no and the way my face feels at the moment I don't think I will, thanks :lol:

I'm getting the feeling that I feel I want to like them but don't, at the end of the day there is no need to persist with a blade if I get on well with others.

Feathers can be short lived and I find you can counter some of the harshness with a thicker more cushioning lather but if you get as good or better shaves with other blades I'm not sure I'd bother. Personally I find they suit my TTO's rather than three piece razor's so it could be partly down to razor head profile.

I found with the Feather I had to shave differently on the first shave compared to the third and differently again on the fifth onwards.

Other blades will shave you close and you might think the Feather has shaved you as close as usual, but it might also be shaving you even closer - thinning your skin a little.

Feathers work fine for me , however what I do find is that they tend to "go off" all at once. If I go for more than 3 shaves with one I've had it suddenly seem to lose edge in the middle of the fourth shave. Having said that, I agree entirely with you that there is absolutely no point in staying with a product which costs money and doesn't give you satisfaction. I believe that most of us have preferences as to blades, razors , creams / soaps etc which work better for us than others do. Otherwise we'd all be using the same stuff.

So it's definitel;y agreed then , there's nowt wrong with you !

JohnnyO.

in the words of Michael Jackson 'you are not alone' - which i always found a little creepy btw

I found them, not so much rough as uncomfortable. I know people say that hand stropping before the first shave with a feathers blade can help, but i'm sorry, life's too short to be fannying around because of QC issues when there's plenty of decent blades that work (for me) straight out of the pack.

JohnnyO said:
Feathers work fine for me , however what I do find is that they tend to "go off" all at once. If I go for more than 3 shaves with one I've had it suddenly seem to lose edge in the middle of the fourth shave. Having said that, I agree entirely with you that there is absolutely no point in staying with a product which costs money and doesn't give you satisfaction. I believe that most of us have preferences as to blades, razors , creams / soaps etc which work better for us than others do. Otherwise we'd all be using the same stuff.

So it's definitel;y agreed then , there's nowt wrong with you !

JohnnyO.

+1

If you're not liking them, definately move on to finding a better set-up.
You can come back to them further down the line to confirm you were right in dropping them.

Recently, I used a Feather in a 37c slant that Gary lent me, and it was great. There were 2 big surprises:
1. If I remember correctly, it gave me 4-5 shaves per blade. And 2. It also felt very mild/controlled. I.e. more forgiving than in other razors.

I will be using them in a 39c Slant for the first time, in a couple of days and am quietly confident it will be the dream combo for me. Took me a bloody year to get to this stage, but that's 'cos I chopped and changed too often. My first time with a feather was the worse shave I ever experienced. Now, I can't shave with anything else (swedes and those gillette thin thais (black and red packaging) don't count because i can't seem to find a constant, stable supply).

-----------

I wonder if there are differences in batches? I remember using a very dodgy set of kai blades and passing them to Lagaffe, who also hated them. He tried a different batch and they worked fine. Strange.

------------

You can probably learn to use almost any razor but with blades, I think you got to go with what you find easy. In saying that, PigCat can shave with almost any blade and not tell the difference. Not fair.

+1 on most of the above. I love the way a fresh Feather blade shaves; the second time out is often even better, and the third is a toss up between still pretty damn good - or appalling. Furthermore, using them constantly is a sure way for me to wind up with irritated skin. Sharp but a bit rough is my diagnosis. Iridiums are a better compromise for me, being as how I'm being very mean with my Swedes and UK Wilks these days.

Again +1 to most of the above. The only razor I use Feathers in is my Gillette adjustable dialed down if I use it in my Merkur I end up with a neck like a baboons bum........... :lol: ...So think I am going to give them a miss for a while.

Back
Top Bottom