Feather Stainless too aggressive for me

Hi all

New member, long time lurker (though I've been more active on SMF in the past). I thought some might be interested in the alternative view of this razor. It's a gorgeous piece and I love the stand...but it's just too harsh for my face.

I haven't seen anyone with this opinion before but just be aware that it won't suit everyone...personally I'm selling it and have gone back to my trusty Mergress, which is not as well made, or as easy to clean, but it does treat my skin better.

Just my own experience...

David

The general consensus from what I also understand is that it is more of a mild razor rather than an aggressive one.

You may come back to it weeks or months later, only to find it gives you an excellent shave. Happens with many of us.
Blades used play a vital role as well as technique (including angle to which you bring it in contact with your face).

I too have the Feather AS-D1 and find it just a wee bit more aggressive than my Goodfella - which is a very mild razor indeed - but love it to bits, it is my go to axe :D

Compared to "Hannibal" - Merkur 34C HD which up untill yesterday sat in the bottom drawer of my wardrobe sniggering at me demanding Faba Beans and a nice bottle of Chianti :hungrig - the Feather is as mild as they come.

As N_Architect says, hang on to it and revisit in a month or so and see how you get on.

What blades have you been using in the Feather. I have had some lovely shaves with Voskhod, Gillette 7OC Sharp Edge, Gillette Super Thin and Feather's own blades loaded in it. Up until this past week or so I couldn't understand how, as peeps have been saying, a razor could be designed around a specific blade, but having now used a Feather blade in it I think I'm beginning to make sense of what they meant. Bar todays shave, where I think I pushed it one shave too far, the Feather/Feather combination have given me my smoothest, closest and most irritation free shaves to date.

So, put it away for a month or so and then give it another go - but if you hear it sniggering every time you walk past it get shot as fast as poss' :shock:

Good advice from Proudfoot there. I'd echo his views on the Feather AS - I find it quite a mild razor, with a very specific range of angles over which it will cut your whiskers - otherwise it'll just glide over them. I find it works best with blades with a reputation for sharpness - Gillette SuperThins and Feathers. Loaded with one of those, I find it feels super controlled and just really smooth and effective. What kind of blades have you been using? If they're not super smooth and ultra sharp, you might experience more aggressiveness and irritation than you would from something like a Feather or a SuperThin blade.

Resting a razor for a few weeks is a good idea. I'm coming back to a Slim Adjustable I've had for a while. I gave it a try a few weeks ago, and didn't like it. Coming back to it now (with a SuperThin in it), it gives such a nice, smooth, close shave - I can understand what the fuss is about for the Slim Adjustable.

If you still find you don't like the Feather after a number of tries, you should be able to sell it on without taking too much of a loss

Dont dismiss your prep aswell i can use the same stuff week in week out and i still get the odd rough shave once in a while it happens to all of us!!!! ;)

Agree with all comments, it depends on preparation and blade is second very important thing, third right angle.
From my experience and trying few blades, I can say that every shave with other blade is different.
For me Feather/Feather combo was too sharp, but with Wilkinson or Astra or Gillette ST was very nice and smooth.
Derby, Shark and Leon what also great but not as smooth as the trio Astra, G., and Willlie´s.

Laci

Hi all, thanks for your advice. My prep and technique are pretty consistent these days and I used the Feather exclusively for a month with the same blade and soap (Iridium and Cella).

Last week I used the Mergress again and it's like a holiday for my face. The Feather's going on sale. I'll get another Mergress and have CoonCatBob make me a custom stand for it. That'll be me sorted.

Well for the last six months iv'e used two razors, a Merkur 34C HD which i have used with several blades including Feather, Gillette super thin 7'O'Clock, Derby extra, Personna's, I also had a Merkur Futur which I didn't like at all got rid of it within a week or two, I would never get that razor myself what a club of a razor, i'm a Carpenter and use many hand tools throughout my career and will say the Merkur futur looks a lot better than it works, I have just taken charge of a Feather AS D1 what a difference that razor felt for a first time use compared to the Futur, balanced smooth perfect what you would expect for a precision tool made to take hair off your face, I would also say to anyone thinking of buying a razor that really is a class act buy a Merkur 34C HD.

Jamie

Finding the combination of razor and blade that suited me was the most difficult aspect of my journey. In my case it's a Jagger Chatsworth and red personna. I tried the Feather razor and the blade along the way. I didn't get on with either. Which reminds me, I have a few blades I must PIF, and razors to pass on....on second thoughts... must keep a few memories.

Back
Top Bottom