Feather Blades

Happy New Year All,I seem to be having a problem with feather blades,I don't know if it is me or the blades, first shave with a new blade is a carefull affair with good results :) ,second shave seems to go a lot better with very good results :D ,third shave disaster I get the razor jumping about and end up with weepers all around my neck and chin with poor results :( .I have tried different creams so I don't think it is that, so does it make sense that a blade only lasts two shaves/six passes or is it something I am doing wrong ?? Any advice would be gratefully received. Forgot to mention I don't have a really thick beard as I can go two days after a good shave, also I have only tried one other blade which was a merkur that came with my razor and that lasted four three pass scruffy shaves,hand was a bit shakey to start with :eek: ,regards Kev.

Hi Kev
Could it be that your skin is a bit stressed due to the Feathers sharpness, resulting in your subsequent shaves further damaging the stressed areas.
This is the case with me, certainly below my chin when I attempt to get it really smooth.

Regards

I normally get 2 shaves from a blade. One each side then toss the blade.

I have just finished my first pack of 10 Feathers and in the beginning would squeeze a 3rd and 4th shave, but was getting some dragging. So now I just stick to the 2 shave plan regardless of the blade.

For me weepers and irritation usually mean: too much pressure, over shaving or a dulling blade. Since your first 2 shaves are fine, I would suggest the latter.

Good luck.

It doesn't sound like your Feather's should be dying after 2 shaves given your beard type but they can, shaving with a thicker lather can also help.

Thank's for your thoughts,I have ordered some different blades Personna/Astra's so I'll give them a go,I'll also try making a thicker lather,

cheers, Kev :shave

I haven't had trouble with Feathers dying prematurely; they are usually good for four shaves, certainly three. What I have noticed however is that once they do go downhill they deteriorate very rapidly. I chuck them straight away at the first sign of that.

I have to agree with Andy - I use feathers and normally get 3-4 shaves.

That said, if I go for a really close shave with 4-5 passes (special occasions only!) I find the next shave (normally 1-2 days later) is appalling. I've found the simplest thing for me is to always change blade on a saturday - I shave 3-4 days a week so it works well for me.

Thanks Neo, just to update a bit I took the plunge and went for shave no4 after 2 days without shaving got pretty good results again so I think they may be just to sharp for me,so I'll try a personna next to see how that compares :cool:

I like Antdad's comment on trying thicker lather as I have a course beard and find that a face lather works well; building it up with a drop of hot water on the end of the brush every now & then until it is thick & whipped. This will also raise and soften the hair. Don't shave over the same spot over and over, else you will get weepers. All the best Adam.

Thank's Guys,tried a personna not anywhere near as sharp as the feather but managed a decent shave with no irritation so I've put it down to the feather just being too sharp for me :shave

Back
Top Bottom