Feather AS-D2s

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
is it all that ?
is it as good as some think ?
and if so what makes it better than the rest ?
I know i'm very inexperienced but i can't think it's so good,
Now don't get me wrong i'm not saying it's not good i just don't get the hype, maybe i'm spoiled as it's the first DE iv really tried.
my wife bought me a cheap Benny's of london and i can't seem to feel much of a difference although it's maybe just me

is it all that ?
Now don't get me wrong i'm not saying it's not good i just don't get the hype, maybe i'm spoiled as it's the first DE iv really tried.
my wife bought me a cheap Benny's of london and i can't seem to feel much of a difference although it's maybe just me
Yes imo it is all that and it most certainly is as good as some think.
I'm not going to say that it's better than the rest but it is very well made, it looks fabulous and above all it gives fantastic shaves.
I had one when I first started wet shaving and I thought I couldn't get a decent shave out of it but it wasn't the razor it was my technique that was at fault, now I rate it as one of my best razors.
I will never sell my Feather AS-D2! :) P.

is it all that ?

Depends really.

I've not used the Benny's but I presume it is a DE89 clone, which is middle of sorts for efficiency.

The Feather AS is a Tech inspired razor so I presume it's quite mild for efficiency.

Are you using the same angle with both razors when shaving?

I love my AS-D2, it's the only razor I use now. It is a mild razor but is still capable of giving you a very close shave without irritation. I am not interested in getting absolute BBS every shave as I shave every day and prefer to keep my skin in good condition. You have to adjust the cutting angle to around 45 degrees which takes a bit of getting used to but once you've dialled it in you'll get great results. I'm in the process of trying different blades to find my perfect pairing and so far Feather, Polsiver, Personna Lab Blues, Personna Med Prep and Kai are working really well in it. It may well be that you haven't found your perfect blade match yet. Hope you stick with it as it's a great razor in my opinion.

...I've not used the Benny's but I presume it is a DE89 clone, which is middle of sorts for efficiency...

It's actually a stainless clone of the legendary Gillette Tech, so they say. I have never been tempted to buy one as quite frankly you can buy Techs cheap and to be more frank those work perfectly for me. Those who have used both seem to generally state that there is no benefit, other than pride of ownership as the Feather is made of stainless to exact specs. How people spend their money is their business.....................unless they're buying me dinner!! :D

Thanks for the reply's lads. i think the general consensus is it's class, i just thought i would ask the question. yes it's made of stainless and not injection moulded but i still fail to get the hype.
£230 mine cost me which is £30 for the stand.
is it worth it ? yes it is to me only because i can afford it, whether it out performs razors i might be in the future remains to be seen. i do use it at a 45 degree angle and i genuinely think it's my fault i'm not getting it right.
in layman's terms i get a better shave with a cartridge although i'll never go back to that way of shaving. I think i might need to try something more aggressive just to compare

Thanks for the reply's lads. i think the general consensus is it's class, i just thought i would ask the question. yes it's made of stainless and not injection moulded but i still fail to get the hype.
£230 mine cost me which is £30 for the stand.
is it worth it ? yes it is to me only because i can afford it, whether it out performs razors i might be in the future remains to be seen. i do use it at a 45 degree angle and i genuinely think it's my fault i'm not getting it right.
in layman's terms i get a better shave with a cartridge although i'll never go back to that way of shaving. I think i might need to try something more aggressive just to compare
The RazoRock GameChanger (£58) is also all CNC machined marine stainless so I am not sure why the Feather costs so much.

When I was a kid I built and painted Airfix models. There was a silver Airfix paint that looked kinda naff. Just didn't look right and didn't really look like silver. It was weird. The AS-D2 looks like that with it's weird matt chrome plating. Apart from that a Tech is an easier shaver. :LOL:

Different steels different prices i would assume but i'm no expert

Yes, different steels and production methods:
RazoRock use CNC machined 316L stainless steel (Marine Grade)
Feather use metal injection moulded stainless with a chrome plating

Metal injection moulding is much cheaper than CNC so the price difference is still a mystery to me.

Yes, different steels and production methods:
RazoRock use CNC machined 316L stainless steel (Marine Grade)
Feather use metal injection moulded stainless with a chrome plating

Metal injection moulding is much cheaper than CNC so the price difference is still a mystery to me.
are you sure ?
i'm let to believe feather is not moulded steel but i don't know myself

The price difference will be in part due to the strength of the Japanese Yen ¥ plus import costs and VAT, plus a markup for who you buy it from. In June 2016 I could get 10,000¥ for £50 the price today is £74. I can buy the ASD2 (with stand) here for ¥18,525 delivered which includes the 10% Japanese tax.

I love my AS-D2, however it's an easy shaver, you could stick an angry Samurai in there and still get an unloved shave, no skill required at all.
If you would like to try a " Safery razor" that actually involves you in the experience I would go for an SE. Vintage are brilliant. If you fancy having a pop, pm me
T

Last edited:
The price difference will be in part due to the strength of the Japanese Yen ¥ plus import costs and VAT, plus a markup for who you buy it from. In June 2016 I could get 10,000¥ for £50 the price today is £74. I can buy the ASD2 (with stand) here for ¥18,525 delivered which includes the 10% Japanese tax.
What website is that mate ?

I love my AS-D2, however it's an easy shaver, you could stick an angry Samurai in there and still get an unloved shave, no skill required at all.
If you would like to try a " Safery razor" that actually involves you in the experience I would go for an SE. Vintage are brilliant. If you fancy having a pop, pm me
T
Tony (that's) very good of you & much appreciated
However i'm in Norway working just now and i'm here for another 6 weeks possibly more as i'm in Quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom