Feather AS-D1 surface wear

Have any other AS-D1 owners noticed any wear to the brushed surface right at the ends of the top piece, I have. See attached. I have treated it with care, using a microfiber cloth to clean off soap scum, but no abrasive cleaners etc.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329074374.657502.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329074374.657502.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 163
Duffer said:
Have any other AS-D1 owners noticed any wear to the brushed surface right at the ends of the top piece, I have. See attached. I have treated it with care, using a microfiber cloth to clean off soap scum, but no abrasive cleaners etc.

My son purchased one when they first came on the market in Dec 2010, and believe me he has given the razor quite a lot of abuse. He loaned it to me at the beginning of Jan so I gave it a deep clean and there were no signs of any wear whatsoever, since receiving this thread I have given it further closer inspection and again no signs of any wear.
Jim

The Feather AS - D1 as a platinum coating, and a micro fibre cloth does have a buffing affect on smooth metal coatings, I would say the razor is perfect, the damage as been done with the micro fibre cloth, that razor shouldn't be cleand with a micro fibre cloth, nor any other razor for that matter, put it this way those cloths were designed for polishing stainless steel and stainless steel is incredibly hard, that's all your son as done is remove the platinum coating, and if he continues to use it he will remove all of it eventually.

Jamie

From what I can see there appears to be a small scratch which I doubt is down to microfibre, and some darker areas which might just clean nicely with alcohol. I don't think microfibre is particularly abrasive. I think they clean more by absorption than abrasion. I doubt it would cause the marking I see in the photo. I think Audiolab's review mentioned microfibre for cleaning.

So that's why the feather is so expensive it's platinum plated.

I know it might be silly idea but a good clean is all it might need as it's stainless steel should have no worrys cleaning it like a normal de

I polish cars and camera lenses with micro fibre cloths, it is the least abrasive cloth you can use. Think about it, a cloth that will scratch steel???

I only use micro fibre cloths as part of my razor cleaning routine. Has NOT done any harm to a single razor I use it to buff gold Gillette razors and I wouldn't risk using anything else as the plating on those would come off if you breathe too heavy on them !!!

Thanks for the input guys, I'm hoping it's not the micro-fibre cloth. My picture is not that clear unfortunately.

So I have taken one at high mag. See attached.

rb10U.jpg

In some respects the image does not show how dark the ends look by eye, as I used top down illumination.

By my eye it doesn't look like something that can be cleaned off.

So, if you do own a AS-D1, take care cleaning it. Perhaps just ultra-sound?

I also think we may be talking about two entiirely different micro fibre cloths, now i'm a pretty keen photographer myself, and I certainly wouldn't shell out on a Kenro micro fibre cloth to clean my razors, I think what the majority of people cleaning their razors with are the blue coloured ones you buy from B&Q or Wilkinsons now these are specifically made for kitchen surfaces and stainless steel items like taps kettles and so on, the photography micro fibre cloths certainly would not harm your razor, as they are made for removing dust and grime from far more expensive items than a razor, I use the blue ones from B&Q on all of my straight razor restores and custom jobs, they work really well but I dont think they are as kind as many people make out.

Jamie.

Given that wear to anything is usually caused by the repeated and regular contact/friction between 2 surfaces, it is almost certain that the regularity can be quantified as "daily" and the friction quantified by "brushing against a stubble covered face", as in shaving.

Don't worry about it, I suspect we'll all be long dead before that razor has worn enough to become unusable.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom