Feather Artist SS Experiences and Questions

I took possession of the Feather Artist SS with wooden handle over the weekend. I bought an Artist before but sold it before using it (cold feet). After enjoying such success with the Cobra I decided to take the plunge again and, I must say, it's an absolutely stunning razor.

I shaved with it twice this weekend: once with a Pro-Guard blade and once with a Feather Professional. I got a few little nicks with the former and a larger nick with the latter. This was my first experience with a straight since using the Parker Shavette a year or so back and I can say that it was a totally different experience. I found the Shavette harsh and unforgiving and, if I'm honest, a total bloodbath. The Feather Artist seems a lot more forgiving and aggressive.

For those more experienced shavers out there, how do you find the Artist Club razors? Should I expect to get a BBS shave on my neck? How long should it take to get my technique down? It took me about 15 minutes to do two passes today (WTG & ATG). I had no irritation but a couple of cuts. Did you find the quality of the shaves improve to the extent that you get as good a shave with an Artist as you do with a Cobra or Slant?

I've owned both, but sold the Feather straight and kept the Cobra. I just find it's a lot quicker to get a three pass shave with the Cobra than the straight. But, the straight comes into its own if you want to shave around or style facial hair.
I never managed to get a BBS shave on my neck with the straight, but always enjoyed using it. Personally I found I could only manage two passes safely with the straight, and was always prone to getting nicks, especially around the mole on my cheek, a mole I can shave over with the Cobra safely.

When on holiday recently I alternated daily with the cobra and feather - both give equally good results and I don't have any problem areas with either razors - I've been shaving with straights for about two years now so that probably explains why the end result is the same with both.

I do find that you still have to be very careful with both razors otherwise the feather blades will cut before you know it - just the slightest wrong angle is punished more than if I was using a conventional straight.

Having read a post where the writer said he can use his Cobra at full speed and no problems, it made me take a look at mine and I have returned it to the manufacturere as it appears that there is too much play in the blade carrier which I think is causing it to be too aggressive. I just could not get through a full shave without one or two nicks no matter how careful I was.

The feather ss to be my favourite razor. I don't try to get BBS shaves anymore as it usually leads to irritation. I do find that I get them every so often without trying. I am similar to Rob in that I was also used to straights before getting the feather so it is an easier transition. I can also get a good shave with a shavette as well, but as far as I'm concerned it takes too much concentration to not slice and dice my face!
It could take you many months to learn to handle the feather with ease, and maybe more time after that to get rid of all irritation and cuts, probably not what you want to hear but keep at it and you will get the rewards. The pro-guard blades I find good, the pro supers are just far too much for me, and my next shave will be with the professional blades. If you want to go for a real blood bath I can send you one of the pro super to try? Who knows you might find them better than Rob or myself did, personally I wouldn't touch one of these again and you might find Rob telling you to steer clear, but I don't mind spreading the pain!

UKRob said:
When on holiday recently I alternated daily with the cobra and feather - both give equally good results and I don't have any problem areas with either razors - I've been shaving with straights for about two years now so that probably explains why the end result is the same with both.

I do find that you still have to be very careful with both razors otherwise the feather blades will cut before you know it - just the slightest wrong angle is punished more than if I was using a conventional straight.

Having read a post where the writer said he can use his Cobra at full speed and no problems, it made me take a look at mine and I have returned it to the manufacturere as it appears that there is too much play in the blade carrier which I think is causing it to be too aggressive. I just could not get through a full shave without one or two nicks no matter how careful I was.

That's what I love about my Cobra, I can use it like I'd use a Mach3. Couple it with something like Village Barber shaving oil and I'm virtually guaranteed a cut free shave every time. And that's not something I could do with the straight.[/align]

Owned the Cobra and about any Feather Artist model on the market. Last year I sold my Cobra, I just prefer the shave with the Feather (and Kai) razors. Didn't care for the SS model however, I prefer the RG and DX models. In the end you will only know what model you prefer after using them (I can't get a good shave with a guarded or light blade for example).

Like UKRob I shaved with straights before I got the Feather and Cobra razors so that might be the reason it didn't take much getting used to them. I shave my face and head daily with a Feather/kai and get as good a shave as with any other razor out there.

UKRob said:

Good move sending back the Cobra. There must be something wrong with it because I can use it at full speed with no cuts at all.

Snuff said:
Owned the Cobra and about any Feather Artist model on the market. Last year I sold my Cobra, I just prefer the shave with the Feather (and Kai) razors. Didn't care for the SS model however, I prefer the RG and DX models. In the end you will only know what model you prefer after using them (I can't get a good shave with a guarded or light blade for example).

Like UKRob I shaved with straights before I got the Feather and Cobra razors so that might be the reason it didn't take much getting used to them. I shave my face and head daily with a Feather/kai and get as good a shave as with any other razor out there.

You shave your head too? Do you get a BBS shave with it? I use the Cobra on my head right now, but I worry I may cut off an ear with the Artist!

daz said:
The feather ss to be my favourite razor. I don't try to get BBS shaves anymore as it usually leads to irritation. I do find that I get them every so often without trying. I am similar to Rob in that I was also used to straights before getting the feather so it is an easier transition. I can also get a good shave with a shavette as well, but as far as I'm concerned it takes too much concentration to not slice and dice my face!
It could take you many months to learn to handle the feather with ease, and maybe more time after that to get rid of all irritation and cuts, probably not what you want to hear but keep at it and you will get the rewards. The pro-guard blades I find good, the pro supers are just far too much for me, and my next shave will be with the professional blades. If you want to go for a real blood bath I can send you one of the pro super to try? Who knows you might find them better than Rob or myself did, personally I wouldn't touch one of these again and you might find Rob telling you to steer clear, but I don't mind spreading the pain!

Daz, that is a really kind offer but I will have to refuse. I've never shaved with a proper straight before and I think there are enough folk in Glasgow with slash marks on their faces!

Johnnie Stark said:
You shave your head too? Do you get a BBS shave with it? I use the Cobra on my head right now, but I worry I may cut off an ear with the Artist!

Yes I get a BBS shave easily on my head, just one pass. I find it actually easier to shave the head as there is no stretching of the skin required. Only thing is that in the beginning it's awkward having to use two mirrors to do the backside. Because every move you make is a mirror picture, but after a while muscle memory takes over and it all comes naturally.

Snuff said:
Johnnie Stark said:

Yes I get a BBS shave easily on my head, just one pass. I find it actually easier to shave the head as there is no stretching of the skin required. Only thing is that in the beginning it's awkward having to use two mirrors to do the backside. Because every move you make is a mirror picture, but after a while muscle memory takes over and it all comes naturally.

I tried it this morning and got some superb results. I've never had such a smoth back-of-the-neck. Nevertheless, I did cut my head in a couple of places and sliced my pinky! I'm not sure I'm going to continue this straight shaving lark!

As a newbie to the Feather SS after a year of DE shaving I have been using my AC for 5 weeks and can get a decent shave WTG.

I have tried adding in ATG too but although no major trauma it left my skin very tender and with some razor burn too. I'm now concentrating on just doing a 2-pass WTG and trying to ensure that I get a DFS from it. All told I've done 21 shaves since starting with it at the beginning of August but I'm still using the Pro Guards and am not in a rush to move on to the grown up blades yet! I need to refine my technique quite a bit more, but in reality the fact I can happily shave every day without nicks, cuts or razor burn so I'm pleased with the progress to date. Preserve and it will come together just like DE shaving did too.

Back
Top Bottom