Feather Artist Club SS Razor Wanted

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a Feather Artist Club Razor and was wondering what people think of this shavette. I am still fairly new to DE shaving but have found my pace and am looking for a straight razor like shave without the hassle of buying Hones, strops etc. I have read good things about this razor but want to hear from people who have no bias. I found one on ebay shipped at just under £45. Is it as good as the reviews say it is?

I had the Non Folding Artist Club..I reckon they are easier to use for someone starting out..They are lovely shavers & built to last a lifetime..They are Hyped up in Forums to be All Singing & All Dancing as you say..That they Aint..Some folks make claims about getting all sorts of high number shaves out of blades in these things..I Personnaly found that blades don't last long at all but that's fine..They are what they are & enjoyable to use..:D

Billy

I have decided to go for the folding one as I was worried about leaving open blades lying around in the bathroom - grandchildren being the main concern. Its just that extra layer of protection the folding blade provides. Also its the look of the cut throat that appeals.

I have a folding SS, use it with pro blades. It's a great piece of kit and much more practical than a straight for travelling. Its a definite keeper.
I've never tried to work out how long blades last as I tend to mix and match a lot, but they are pretty durable.

I have a folding SS, use it with pro blades. It's a great piece of kit and much more practical than a straight for travelling. Its a definite keeper.
I've never tried to work out how long blades last as I tend to mix and match a lot, but they are pretty durable.

I have ordered the Light blades to start with, that is until I get the hang of it. I will then move on to the pro blades.

I'm not sure there's a great deal of difference between the two in practice. Yes, the light is narrower - but you still have to put the edge against your face. If you were using a light in say the Mongoose, I could see the point because there would be less exposure - but in a Feather or any other similar razor I just don't see a great deal of difference.

The Feather Proguard is a slightly different matter - but, again, not by my IMO.

The SS head is different to the RG and DX heads.

If I remember correctly, a Feather Light in a SS will give very little blade exposure and is next to useless.

The SS head is different to the RG and DX heads.

If I remember correctly, a Feather Light in a SS will give very little blade exposure and is next to useless.

Ahh right. Well I will have to wait and see. If they are useless I will let you all know and buy the proglides sharpish if you will pardon the puno_O

I'm not sure there's a great deal of difference between the two in practice. Yes, the light is narrower - but you still have to put the edge against your face. If you were using a light in say the Mongoose, I could see the point because there would be less exposure - but in a Feather or any other similar razor I just don't see a great deal of difference.

The Feather Proguard is a slightly different matter - but, again, not by my IMO.

Just a word of warning, if memory serves the lights are the only Feather blades that are not compatable with the Mongoose!

Just a word of warning, if memory serves the lights are the only Feather blades that are not compatable with the Mongoose!

I don't have a mongoose as yet but thanks for the tip. Having viewed a few more videos on youtube I think I would have been better served going for the Proguard blades straight off as the have a guard on them. Oh well, one learns by ones mistakes. I will still use the lights 1st but will definately get the Proguards next.

hay gary i been using straights for years i bought a feather ss a couple years ago but never bothered with it untill now
i use proguard and am amazed how smooth they shave also use a nice light touch cos them blades are sharp
take it easy and enjoy yourself

Back
Top Bottom