Favourite / Most used / Special Mention.

CjH

So I was stood staring at my brushes, as you do.

And realised I have a favourite brush but don't use it as much as another brush, and then there's others that I'm just glad I have on the shelf.
So here's my 3.

Favourite.
1000035330.jpg

Frank Shaving Butterscotch. Badger Brush. I bought this from Amazon at a really cheap price and didn't expect much. However its a surprisingly a really good brush. Not much more to say, I just love it.

Most Used.
1000035331.jpg

Yaqi Synthetic. So I generally use this when I'm in a rush, don't have time to spend soaking a brush and need a quick getaway. And it's the one I take away on my trips etc.

Special Mention.
1000035329.jpg

Another Frank Shaving badger brush.
Purchased of @Kevy (Thanks fella) after the good results from my other Frank shaving brush I thought I'd take a punt on this one when it came up in BST. Glad I did. Its a better.

Other brushes are on my shelf and I love them too. I use them infrequently but they all get used. However these 3 are the ones I'd save if I had to get rid of the collection.

What's your 3?

I have 8 in my rotation and a box of various boars unused. Of my regulars, my 3 faves are my Simpson Commodore X3 best badger that I got off Gairdner, my vintage Rubberset 400 with Oumo boar knot from Dave in KY, and, somewhat surprisingly, my Yaqi Moka Express synth 24mm for sheer ease of use, lovely feel and cool handle design. Hard to say which I use the most as I vaguely rotate them but based on what I feel like rather than rotation order.

Reactions: CjH
I posted a thread recently along the lines of "how the hell do I have so many brushes?" finding myself with in excess of 50 brushes! While I do rotate them through and go in phases, I think my favourite is still the Mohawk 5-341 which is the original 1950s model that the PAA Starcraft copied:

AIL4fc9E0Q4OK6IaU7S6TlG7Rozzif1mkFTZqxsm9-PrFQP0f8ixXoh4DI5nAgcrLfY8UrHywfJvzO6oyFaAMtJXb22gynIujejFZb3goAlfZ4APBY4wCWF9l_x0zjJtedyER-a_Z0JqhoBh2156mBQsGk42Mw=w1200

I reknotted a few years back when choice of synthetic knot was not that varied, so this is a 22mm PurTech knot which was a kinda copy of the Muhle Silvertip fibre.

Most used is probably this DS Cosmetics professional handle which I fitted a large 26mm Synbad synthetic fan knot:

AIL4fc8JRYu9Pt-ES_N-jaZ6qL3iRXAYJsLbZkvYmByikOKCrQh3GOvfPsUt6N_o-XzAePtz1X2GHrdoZ4fXnjFUvvPRolzLyLCjK2ptSVi95vnaRv_AADbTDH-hNnkKlOu8b-CdiZf6Gj0wUf_NncI5MfEG0w=w1200

... over on the left, showing just how big a brush that is. Odd, because I'm not actually a fan of big brushes. Go figure.

Special mention is two-fold.

First, in an age of such choice with synthetic I think it only right to mention the Muhle Silvertip Fibre, which is a superb fibre and enormously underrated:

AIL4fc8WmauGXN-RRaRG_L0tVDesaweMoKhuYj8RdzM1MtDc1MW_h5qJl2wzkX3Z2zBjGSYqfETSJLl1wKHPmCJgLeZI5tEPaWQh-iwHBUY3vCje1pPnFguNZKJXZZ3GTr8BgSaEkrjbmRsdGepS1ACnF445Sw=w1200

... and second (but by no means last) the workhorse boar knot from Omega, which I think has the most ideal girth to height ratio in the 10108 handle which is made to a price but by no means cheap in feeling.

AIL4fc97ZXDOnpwYsIlSfIFkExuAkLVkxmTvOhMjm1FMLdd02TOcA-2sK4ADgo2GngblihYOHTyVQbXYw_i35MLoS-NyD4-CYW_wrbqytNQVgz_U8bDWwX8jYN7E9xORY9DWn92R0q4UbX7boAMiPMdnsdq3Tw=w800

Back
Top Bottom