Favourite Legacy Drugstore Aftershaves

What's your favourite legacy drugstore aftershave?

I do enjoy Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Tabac, Denim and Blue Stratos.

The following were launched, a few could have been Eau de Toilettes only:

Skin Bracer 31Mennen
Aqua Velva 35 Williams
Old Spice 37 Shulton
Tabac 59 M+W
Brut 64 Faberge
Jade East 64 Swank
Hai Karate 67 Leeming
Brummel 75 Williams/Puig
Denim 76 Elida Gibbs/Faberge
Blue Stratos 76 Shulton
Mandate 76 Shulton
Insignia 86 Shulton
Rapport 88 Shulton
Aquatonic 88 Faberge
Addiction Series 95 Faberge

Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva have local production in France.

I believe Yardley was more upmarket and available at Department stores, whilst I didn't see Dana products in Europe growing up.

I have always wanted to try the following:

Aqua Velva Savane Verte from France
Skin Bracer Wild Moss

Last edited:
Jovan Musk, Old Spice & Brut ... more recently, big appreciation for Denim, Mandate & Rapport. I continue to buy present day stocks of these as well as having a number of vintage variants. On vintage, Coty Musk and Old Spice Musk for Men are a couple I've discovered in the last year or two. Jade East I've had for a few years, but probably won't buy another. Tabac and Imperial Leather, obvs.

I re-bought current stock Blue Stratos and Hai Karate recently, but they're both sitting in my PIF box. I tried Aqua Velva - not for me. PIFd it.

Looks like I'm a musk and spice kinda fellow with an occasion interest in citrussy leather ... oo-er?

i possibly should have included Jovan Musk, Stetson and Aspen. But I have never bought them. I have tried testers of Jovan Musk and Aspen. There must have been a reason not to purchase.

I also am interested in these discontinued Lime scents:

Skin Bracer Dry Lime
Aqua Velva Frost Lime
Old Spice Lime

Old Spice Lime isn't discontinued, it's available for the Indian market and you can get buy it on eBay.

I can't comment on what it is like but the plastic bottle Indian Old Spice is a touch deeper/richer than the one sold here.

Enjoying present day Mandate, I secured a vintage Shulton era bottle the other day. Today's scent is very faithful!

Jovan Musk is very warm and spicy. Mrs always comments when I use it, very rarely otherwise. She also comments on Coty Musk but I think that's because she thinks it's Jovan.

Old Spice Lime isn't discontinued, it's available for the Indian market and you can get buy it on eBay.

I can't comment on what it is like but the plastic bottle Indian Old Spice is a touch deeper/richer than the one sold here.
The current version of Old Spice Lime is Fresh Lime. The original was a bright green in colour.
I don't believe they are the same.

Have you ever seen posts when the individual states that P&G ruined the formulation. But they never show vintage bottles. Well it all smells virtually the same to me...

Yeah I have seen a few of those posts over the years. I've only got two formulations of Old Spice; the current one and the Indian plastic bottle version. The latter is a bit deeper and richer than the current one sold in the UK but are both excellent.

Wow! What a great find.

If you are able to do, I would be most appreciative in reading your thoughts.
I have applied the Rubicon Indian Fresh Lime. It's quite mild. I used the atomizer version in case the normal bottle was adulterated. I shall apply the vintage one tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom