Fatip Piccolo

20230707_135546.jpg

First shave with my Piccolo (OC) today. Put a RazoRock handle on it, as the standard one is too small for my liking. Quite hefty for its size though, being brass.

The posts seem a fraction smaller than the holes in the blade. This means you have to check it has the same amount of blade each side, even though it is sitting straight. This can be forgiven in such a cheap razor, I guess.

20230707_140405.jpg

I thought this was going to be a bit of a beast. It isn't. I used my standard Shark SS blade and the razor was very smooth and quite a bit milder than my usual choices. You can feel the "teeth" but the overwhelming feeling was one of a "safe" shave. After 2 passes my face was super comfortable, but my neck was not quite as close as usual.

20230707_135821.jpg

20230707_135928.jpg

I wasn't sure where this would fit into my collection. I'll use it all week to be sure but my initial impression is that it'll make a nice easy-shaving travel razor and that the R41 Twist will jump back into the main rotation.

The Fatip OC head has a fairly wide range of angles where it cuts, so it might be worth experimenting with angles a bit. Also because if you feel the teeth as anything than a hint of a feeling, then the blade angle might be too steep.

When it comes to aligning it, the few I got last are actually easy to deal with in this regard - if you tighten it with the head resting on the comb, then it should be even, but you might want to check whether the blade exposure it the same on both sides, in which case you could repeat the procedure, but with the comb on other side of the head.

Another way it to drop the blade in, then press the baseplate down and hold it there while tightening the handle.

A third option to get it to align without much fuss can be to put head on a flat surface with a tab facing down. Because the pins are round, it should prop the centres of blade holes against the centres of the pins on the top cap,

I have had a few Fatip heads which were so poorly made it was difficult to get the blade to align, but the three approaches I mention above worked well for me with my more recent Fatip heads.

I would advise against using that RazoRock handle with Fatip heads - it sort of works, but the threads have little purchase, so might end up getting damaged more easily.

Rather than a piccolo, it looks like il grosso would be more up your alley.

Thanks for the tips

I found that popping the blade in, 1/2 tightening it then centring the blade before tightening further gave me an equal exposure.

I’ll be careful with the handle. Thanks for the heads up.

The Fatip OC head has a fairly wide range of angles where it cuts, so it might be worth experimenting with angles a bit. Also because if you feel the teeth as anything than a hint of a feeling, then the blade angle might be too steep.

When it comes to aligning it, the few I got last are actually easy to deal with in this regard - if you tighten it with the head resting on the comb, then it should be even, but you might want to check whether the blade exposure it the same on both sides, in which case you could repeat the procedure, but with the comb on other side of the head.

Another way it to drop the blade in, then press the baseplate down and hold it there while tightening the handle.

A third option to get it to align without much fuss can be to put head on a flat surface with a tab facing down. Because the pins are round, it should prop the centres of blade holes against the centres of the pins on the top cap,

I have had a few Fatip heads which were so poorly made it was difficult to get the blade to align, but the three approaches I mention above worked well for me with my more recent Fatip heads.

I would advise against using that RazoRock handle with Fatip heads - it sort of works, but the threads have little purchase, so might end up getting damaged more easily.

Rather than a piccolo, it looks like il grosso would be more up your alley.

I assume you mean the top cap’s threads are at risk, not the handle’s (as the handle is SS and the cap is brass)? Which threads are lacking purchase? The cap's or the handles?

Last edited:
Possibly of both the top cap and the handle's, but I think brass is softer than steel, so the top cap's more so.

It's worth being careful but it should be OK - the Flatboy comes with a brass head and SS handle.

Certainly wouldn't want to over-tighten I though.

I think I read somewhere that the thread size is a bit different on Fatips than everyone else's, that's why is a bit more tricky rather than just SS vs brass.
Exactly, the threads are different, that's why the thread on the top cap would have less purchase on the handle's threads.

I think I read somewhere that the thread size is a bit different on Fatips than everyone else's, that's why is a bit more tricky rather than just SS vs brass.

Exactly, the threads are different, that's why the thread on the top cap would have less purchase on the handle's threads.

Right, got you.

That makes sense now. Standard handle is back on.

Thanks

Last edited:
Used the original handle today. Another very comfortable and smooth shave. Not quite as comfortable to hold with the smaller handle, but closer than yesterday. Perhaps coincidence? Perhaps the shorter handle helps find a better angle?

20230708_070152.jpg

I use for the Fatip all last week. The shorter handle was fine. Soon got useful to it.

It was a very comfortable and smooth shaver. Not aggressive at all. Pretty efficient.

Would actually be a nice razor to introduce someone to DR shaving, if the blade didn’t need to checked for even exposure..

20230709_113851.jpg

Back
Top Bottom