Fatboy! Whats all the fuss about?

After buy a nice example from Dun I must say I don't see what all the fuss is about. Its no better than a slim to me and wont be my razor of choice anytime soon. My beaten up thick handle tech will be coming back out tomoz!

I think the fact it's legendary is more to do with the short production run (hence it's a fairly rare razor), and because it looks nice. It's not because it's the world's best ever shaver, or not in my view anyway.

Canuck said:
I think the fact it's legendary is more to do with the short production run (hence it's a fairly rare razor), and because it looks nice. It's not because it's the world's best ever shaver, or not in my view anyway.

Have to admit I agree. It looks lovely and while I do like shaving with it I feel that maybe my technique isn't good enough yet, and it may just not be the best razor in the world! However, that isn't saying it gives me a bad shave....just not the best! I do love using it however for the feel and as I have said, it looks great on my display rack!

I'd agree on this one too. I try the Fatboy or Slim every so often triggered when someone makes some glowing comments about them but I'm generally tending to prefer the 3-piece razors although it has to be said the Fatboy and Slim are attractive from a "gadget" perspective.

Well, I am going to go against the grain of opinion here.

I bought a new Fatboy back in the early 1960s which I used for about 10 years or more. It got lost somewhere in the mists of time amidst all the house moves.

I recently bought another (from a forum member), and I absolutely love it!

Rod

I have to say, its the best looking razor ever made, totally retro, and it just looks the part. I think its a good shaver, my favorite gilette adjustable my a mile.

It might simply suffer from over expectation because it has a decent nick name, technically I don't see much reason why it would be any better or worse than a slim other than ones preference for a weightier tool.

antdad said:
I don't really hear or see much fuss but it might simply suffer from over expectation because it has a decent nick name.

Yeah Tony, I think you have the answer! I'd bet no one would use one of those things if they were called Crapboys. Same thing with calling a Slim the Sissystick.......not quite as appealing.

You've done it again!

SIRUSKEY said:
After buy a nice example from Dun I must say I don't see what all the fuss is about. Its no better than a slim to me and wont be my razor of choice anytime soon. My beaten up thick handle tech will be coming back out tomoz!

Hi there,

You poor deluded man. Obviously, you haven't read my repeated glowing reviews about the Fatboy. Yep, you need to take a look at the hundeds of positive thoughts I've typed about that razor. Maybe after that you'll realise how misguided your shaving experience has been so far.

Now please don't feel bad.......there's a couple other members who think as you do. For whatever the reason, they also refuse to admit how amazing that model is. I hope those many previous posts of mine will convince you that yes, you DO love that Fatboy.

Glad to help out,

Martin

Oh yeah.........you also DO love okra.........

I've used 4 different butterfly door razors and they just don't hold the blade as firmly as a 3 piece. I don't get that slight vibration as with a butterfly. I wanted to love the fatboy. I even had a drunk bid on a toggle and won, but can't bring myself to use it because I know I'm going to be disappointed.

IMHO the Fatboy is a very, very beautiful razor and that's about it. I like my Slim Adj., Black Beauty, Techs... actually all my razor best than the fatboy... it's just a boiiiig big myth.

Back
Top Bottom