Fat February 2024

It's that time of year, it's cold outside, the days are short, we spent all of our loose change on mince pies, and it's generally miserable.

Courtesy of the fine gent @Gairdner who started 'Fat February' last year, I think it was time to get the ball rolling once again.

Who's in for some lanolin goodness for the month of February? For the 29 days of February, you can choose to use the The Fat every day, or however much you want to use. There are no hard and fast rules, aside this month is a chance to give your shaving soaps (or creams) that have lanolin in them a bit of an outing.

Mitchells Wool Fat in both it's tallow and palm oil based formulations have lanolin, but there are others.

Here is a short list of soaps that are on the lanolin list
- MWF (tallow & palm oil)
- Wilkinson Sword Stick
- Lea Sticks (various formulations)
- Haslinger Schafmilk
- Razorock SMDF
- Hampshire Wool Fat
- Razorock WTP
- Stirling (most varieties)
- Lea Classic
- Squadron - Group Captain's Blend
- Lea Classic
- Musgo Real
- Erasmic
- the original Ingrams! (edit, I forgot this first time around!)
- *home formulations too, for example adding lanolin to a croap (eg Monsavon)

I'm sure there are others.

So, who's in for some Fat for the coming month of February?

I will start things rolling and start a list.

1. Uncle Donnie

May the fat be with you....

Last edited:
I'm in.

I have Kent which is just rebranded MWF.

I also have three Hampshire Wool Fats and a Wilkinson Sword stick somewhere.

Thanks for the heads-up on Erasmic sticks as I didn't realise they had lanolin in. There's a chance I have one or two from before an ingredients list was required, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and just use any Erasmic stick.

A month with proper baa-baa shop shaves ensues!

It's that time of year, it's cold outside, the days are short, we spent all of our loose change on mince pies, and it's generally miserable.

Courtesy of the fine gent @Gairdner who started 'Fat February' last year, I think it was time to get the ball rolling once again.

Who's in for some lanolin goodness for the month of February? For the 29 days of February, you can choose to use the The Fat every day, or however much you want to use. There are no hard and fast rules, aside this month is a chance to give your shaving soaps (or creams) that have lanolin in them a bit of an outing.

Mitchells Wool Fat in both it's tallow and palm oil based formulations have lanolin, but there are others.

Here is a short list of soaps that are on the lanolin list
- MWF (tallow & palm oil)
- Wilkinson Sword Stick
- Lea Sticks (various formulations)
- Haslinger Schafmilk
- Razorock SMDF
- Hampshire Wool Fat
- Razorock WTP
- Stirling (most varieties)
- Lea Classic
- Squadron - Group Captain's Blend
- Lea Classic
- Musgo Real
- Erasmic
- *home formulations too, for example adding lanolin to a croap (eg Monsavon)

I'm sure there are others.

So, who's in for some Fat for the coming month of February?

I will start things rolling and start a list.

1. Uncle Donnie

May the fat be with you....
Please count me in, Uncle Donnie. I've never tried Lea. Could be an excuse to get some bought!

I'm in.

I have Kent which is just rebranded MWF.

I also have three Hampshire Wool Fats and a Wilkinson Sword stick somewhere.

Thanks for the heads-up on Erasmic sticks as I didn't realise they had lanolin in. There's a chance I have one or two from before an ingredients list was required, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and just use any Erasmic stick.

A month with proper baa-baa shop shaves ensues!

Superb! You have some vintage Erasmic sticks right? I think I read they were once ok but were reformulated to a somewhat underwhelming formulation.

Please count me in, Uncle Donnie. I've never tried Lea. Could be an excuse to get some bought!

Fantastic! The most recent formulation of the Lea sticks are at Connaught are 2 for £3.60 or something, and are actually excellent. One of my favourite shaving sticks be it with or without tallow.

Uncle D! Hmm…I’ll have to submit a formal written request to Matron but yes sir, I just might be able to boogie.

In your formal request to Matron, please include a mention of Uncle Donnie asking for permission. It may count for nothing, but it's worth a go nonetheless.

Lanolin featured in one formulation of the bowl variant with the "20% Extra Fill" on the front. I've found two such examples, one with SLS (older?) and the one with lanolin (newer). There is then an older still formulation with SLS but no lanolin ... and I have an ingredient list from a tallow stick which again doesn't have lanolin. Short of it is, I think it's only the latest formulation (should say "20% Extra Fill" on the front) and will definitely list it in the ingredients.

... and SuperMax Classic Shaving Cream @donnie_arko - Water, Stearic Acid, Glycerine, Potassium Hydroxide, Lauric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Silicate, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Boric Acid, Lanolin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil

Oh, and I'm in ...

Good month for it, being Britains coldest average month.

Lanolin featured in one formulation of the bowl variant with the "20% Extra Fill" on the front. I've found two such examples, one with SLS (older?) and the one with lanolin (newer). There is then an older still formulation with SLS but no lanolin ... and I have an ingredient list from a tallow stick which again doesn't have lanolin. Short of it is, I think it's only the latest formulation (should say "20% Extra Fill" on the front) and will definitely list it in the ingredients.

... and SuperMax Classic Shaving Cream @donnie_arko - Water, Stearic Acid, Glycerine, Potassium Hydroxide, Lauric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Silicate, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Boric Acid, Lanolin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil

Oh, and I'm in ...

Good month for it, being Britains coldest average month.
Erasmic bowl currently only £2.89 at Savers - ingredient lists states lanolin. Cheap as chips. I dont recall using Erasmic - I'll buy a tub to try it out.

I have just spent the last hour binge reading the Virginia Woolfat saga! Bit sad I know but hey, I don't get out much!
Could quite fancy taking part in this here Fat February malarkey if that's ok?
Don't actually have any MWF but got a Kent soap in a wooden bowl for Christmas, will that do?
And my mother's maiden name was Mitchell!
Also I believe Kent's shaving cream contains lanolin (think I read it is a Lea formulation) - although I don't have any of that either!
Any rules I need to be aware of?

I have just spent the last hour binge reading the Virginia Woolfat saga! Bit sad I know but hey, I don't get out much!
Could quite fancy taking part in this here Fat February malarkey if that's ok?
Don't actually have any MWF but got a Kent soap in a wooden bowl for Christmas, will that do?
And my mother's maiden name was Mitchell!
Also I believe Kent's shaving cream contains lanolin (think I read it is a Lea formulation) - although I don't have any of that either!
Any rules I need to be aware of?

Many of us have the Kent soap but it's made by Mitchell's and is the same soap. A few of us still refer to it as The Fat.

No rules aside from using a lanolin soap in the month or February. You can use the soap once or every day.

Cheers @Gairdner… great to be back and see some of the same (clean-shaven) faces.
What happened to me? Ten years with a beard is what happened. Sold all my gear… including vintage razors, modern SS razors… and I definitely regret selling a couple of excellent New Forest brushes. I’m trying to be a bit more restrained this time round, but you know how it goes…

Is there much love for Haslinger Schafmilk round these parts? Not a soap I have tried. Seen plenty of posts comparing it to MWF - curious to know if it's a decent performer.

I like it and I'll be using it during February. I'm never sure what peanut oil brings to the party and/or whether it would have terrible effects upon a person allergic to such legumes, but I'm not ... and so, yeah, good soap.

Back
Top Bottom