Fat Boy cleaning...

Hello all.

Haven't been on in a while - what have I missed??

My Fat Boy has been on heavy rotation for most of this year, and apart from getting the occasional going over the face end with a toothbrush and liquid hand soap every few weeks, I've not taken particular care of it (it wasn't exactly factory fresh when I received it...).

Thing is, I'm now finding the TTO mechanism is getting a bit stiff - no, scratch that, very stiff, meaning that to make sure the blade is properly loaded and secured I have to use a towel or such to get a proper grip for the final quarter turn.

I'm fairly certain this is simply due to a build up of the usual crud inside, and I would have a go myself, if I wasn't terrified of buggering the thing up for good. I tried to take a Fatboy apart before, and never quite figured it out (and this was with instructions)...

...soooooo, the question I have is, do any of you know of someone who could give the Fatboy a service for me, taking it apart, properly soaked in the right liquids, etc? Any ideas how much it would set me back?:huh:

Like I say, it's missing a fair bit of plating, and, is not cosmetically in great shape, so I'm not after anything spectacular.

Any advice much appreciated.

Hope you're all well,

Ken

Get some 3-in-1 or other type of mineral oil and drop a load in any crevice you can see in the handle...top end, bottom end and in particular lubricate the junction with TTO knob and the main handle. Open and close and work it till it frees up a bit.

You could send it of to be re plated? I imagine it would have to be taken apart and thoughily cleaned before taking the old plating and re-doing it.

If it your main shaver it may be worth getting back to it's best.

If you are still looking for a service for the fatboy, PM me, I'll do it if you cover the postage ;)
(no need to take it apart, just using an ultrasonic cleaner + proper cleaner)

I've done this before for some people on here, and I've restored quite a few (100+) so I've got the technique down pat.

Turnaround is about a week ;)

M.

Back
Top Bottom