Fat bloke on a bike

Cast your mind back to Boxing Day 2008, I hauled my personage from bed and after a shower glanced myself in the mirror and thought "you fat git, do something about it". I thought since the nearest swimming baths are 12 miles away and £4 a shot to get in that I need to do something else...

I decided upon a bike, just need to get approval from the boss - as I was trying to think how to bring this up, she said "you fat git, lose some weight" so I said "I'll get a bike" and since it all sounded like it was her idea, obviously it's a good idea :D

I spotted that Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op was about to have a sale, so I joined the scrum of about 350 thin lycra clad men all after new bikes and bits of bike - me being conspicuous by my general rotundness & lack of lycra. On January 6th the bike arrived and I took it for a spin - 1.5km and I thought I was going to die - man I was in poor shape.

Slowly I've built up from there and taking a 30-60 minute ride at lunchtime 5 days a week - in the last 211 days, I've been out 138 times and today I broke through the 1600km barrier. Tomorrow I shall make it to 1000 miles, which I've completed at an average speed of around 13mph.

My belt is now 8" tighter and my calves are like iron - and despite what everyone asks, no, I feel no different in myself, I'm still a fat bloke on a bike - although Im told I'm not as fat as I was - which is nice to hear.

Pig Cat said:
I think we need a pic! :D

Here you go...

hand_pick-640H.jpg

Oh, you mean me?

bibo-michelin-man-riding-bike-p211w250.jpg

Artist's Impression

Nice.

I'm a cycle nut too!

Hate mountain bikes (well, the way they handle), bought myself a cheap hybrid from Halfords and bought a bigger chainring to get more speed up. Love my bike.....just love it! (In a Keegan stylee!)

Attachments

• keegan.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 87
Well done; I love cycling myself and off-raod cycle about 3 times a week. My missus has also just got into it in an attempt to lose weight. I have shown heard your thread to inspire her.

Cheers Rousey

She'll love it when she gets to page 2 and reads that from you :D No doubt she's size 8 and hoping to be a size 6.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/caloriesBurned.php">http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/caloriesBurned.php</a><!-- m --> is a handy thing to see how many calories you'll burn (even more encouraging, the heavier you are, the more calories you burn!)

My other half said she was going to go for a ride on my bike... nothing odd in a lady being on a gents bike you might think, especially in these modern enlightened times.

Well I'm 6'5" and she's 5'2" and the bike is sized appropriately for me (22" frame, saddle about 5" above... you get the picture) - when she's on the seat, her feet miss the pedals by about 4" :mrgreen: I won't go into the logistics of her getting hands to the handlebars :lol:

My bike is safe! Phew!

hunnymonster said:
Well I'm 6'5" and she's 5'2" and the bike is sized appropriately for me (22" frame, saddle about 5" above... you get the picture) - when she's on the seat, her feet miss the pedals by about 4" :mrgreen: I won't go into the logistics of her getting hands to the handlebars :lol:
You should get a tandem :D

Rousey said:
Good point; better keep it to page 1 ;)

Another thing she may (or may not) find helpful is to set mini targets and possibly a big target - I work on 50km & 50 mile mini targets - so I always have a target in sight... and started the year hoping to cover 1000 miles - that came up last week and now seems very unambitious - but if you look at what I was doing in Jan/Feb - I'm doing weekly what I took all of January to do...

Back
Top Bottom