Fao Neil Miller

Neil, i see you have come into possession of one of the newer shapton glass stones. How is it holding up for you, i have just placed an order for the 16k stone, i assume they work very fast so i have to be careful?

Also was lapping it much work?

Cheers.

Hi HUxley,

They are fast. 15 or so laps is all you need on the 16k. The newer stones are grey - I liked the smoothness and speed of the new ones for a while, but find I now prefer the white ones. Lapping them is always a PITA, though! The amount of suction is unbelievable, and they cling on to continuous grit DMT plates like long-lost relatives! They all 'deform' a bit on drying, even if you have just lapped them - the edges or middle go up and down a fraction, so I like to lap them all lightly at the beginning of a session, and the DMT put me off so much I got the shapton DGLP - what a revelation - no more suction! It's no faster than the DMT but the channels in it stop the suction in its tracks. I only lap down to 2000 grit on it though - I'm not risking that much of an investment lapping anything coarser, although shapton say (I think!) it can be used down to 500 grit.

They are good, reliable stones. Expensive for a few mms, though.

Regards,
Neil

Yeah true, but from what i've heard, they last an age as they're very hard.

Thanks, i will buy the dglp if i end enjoying the shapton, we'll see.

If I may intrude :ugeek:

As far as I know the 16K Shapton Glass only comes in white - they gray only in 4K, 6K and 8K. Neil, If you have a gray 16K I would be very interested to find out where you got it! Here is a chart to compare the Shapton Glass product numbers:http://jendeindustries.wordpress.co...oduction-to-the-shapton-pro-and-glass-series/

Plenty of water is the key to good lapping, no matter if its sandpaper or the DGLP. The DGLP is good on 500 grit and finer. I've been using mine for several years now - mostly on the 500 and 1K stones and while it is less aggressive than 3 years ago, it still has a lot of punch. I always lap right before and right after use to clean the surface - it only takes a few seconds. It is a good habit to lap each stone at least after each use or session, though. I highly recommend the DGLP for anyone who sharpens and/or hones a lot. For the casual honer, it may be a little too good! :twisted: While the glass stones do have some flex, it is not extreme enough to warrant any concern if you only lap after use.

Sorry for the interruption....
:mrgreen:

Hello Tom - the new grey stone I have is the 8000 - Huxley knew this, so I didn't elaborate further. All my others are older versions and white.

Plenty of water is certainly the key, especially when lapping on a continuous surface - underwater preferably to prevent that awful suction which sets in after very few strokes.

I used to lap them after a session - until I found that they always needed lapping before a session, as no matter what I do in my room they always shrink and expand in different areas of the same stone, even if lapped after use - no point in doing it twice in my experience. As I hone every day, and sometimes two or three sessions in one day, the build-up after a session never gets to hang around long and is a handy indication that lapping is complete when the discoloration is removed prior to a session - no need for pencil grids!

The deflection is, as you say, minor - but after having spent big bucks on a dglp that is extolled to be flat to the nth degree I intend to use it to fully perform its function - otherwise I would have considered a non-continuous DMT (especially after hearing how some people have got rid of their dglps and kept the non-continuous DMT in preference to it! - as you say, Tom, that probably makes a lot more sense for the casual honer).

I have noticed a rapid fall-off and evening-out of the abrasiveness of the dglp - expected to be sure as the coating evens out, but much more rapid than on the continuous coarse DMT plates. I just hope I haven't got a 'pup' - some people whose opinions I value on other forums have had that experience and sent their dglps back to shapton. Fingers crossed!

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom