Face lathering

Yet another vido. But still interesting. I wish I could be that competent with a straight.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMhQBXVntZE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMhQBXVntZE</a><!-- m -->

Good idea to paint that even coat of soap before starting to face lather.

Taking a different approach this is am interesting video that demonstrates how hydrated a lather could or should be. Good Stuff.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC9MwbKnbEk&NR=1[/youtube]

Fido said:
Yet another vido. But still interesting. I wish I could be that competent with a straight.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMhQBXVntZE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMhQBXVntZE</a><!-- m -->

I've used a straight for around 15 years and still get caught out every now and then just a single laps and we have a gusher either that or its the wife walking into the bathroom without me seeing her the she suddenly speaks makes me jump and there we go we have another.... :D

But I will say I use a DE during the week and my straights at the weekend unless I have a meeting then the night before out comes the straight.

Give it another go Fido you never know :D

I almost exclusively face lather as I prefer it. I use soaps (usually sicks) and creams and seem to get enough for 3 or 4 passes. I use a combination of swirling and pumping actions with the brush which seems to work fine for me.

Would be interested to hear from others how they do it as I am sure there are better methods for improving lather out there.

KRF1963 said:
I almost exclusively face lather as I prefer it. I use soaps (usually sicks) and creams and seem to get enough for 3 or 4 passes. I use a combination of swirling and pumping actions with the brush which seems to work fine for me.

Would be interested to hear from others how they do it as I am sure there are better methods for improving lather out there.

Im not a fan of face lathering,,and prefer applying a lather with soap or cream from the bowl .
I keep it warm enough for 3 or 4 passes,,just feels more luxurious and leisurely that way.
I do apply with swirling and painting action though.
regards, beejay

Prefer face lathering, but on occasion I bowl lather. I seem to get better lather in the bowl. I think it facilitates better mixing. But I can't be arsed most of the time!

I very rarely do anything but face lather now although with soaps but with creams I apply to the centre of the brush and the start it off in the palm of my hand, as I find it keeps more water that way.

Interesting....put a known amount of water in the bowl, dampen the brush, load & mix.

When i face lather with creams I put a dab of cream on each cheek & the neck area. Then start lathering with circular motions. Once i have the consistancy i want I distribute the lather using paint strokes.

He certainly creates a decent amount of lather there, couldn't believe how much water he put in there to start with. That said, could not be arsed to spend the best part of 5 minutes lathering up every morning. Usually i face lather soaps and bowl lather creams. I intend trying bowl lathering soap as it will justify me buying a scuttle come winter time: http://www.schwarzweisskeramik.de/enindex.html :)

Solely face lather both soaps and creams.

With soaps I well load the brush and then adjust with water on the face, always circular motions and then finish off by painting to give an even coat. Will reload the brush in between passes and proceed to generate enough lather for the whole of the southern hemisphere.

With creams i rub a generous amount onto cheeks (face) and neck and then proceed to cover the bathroom with lather.

Interesting videos. Recently, I've found that I quite like face lathering with soaps.

Was surprised at how long (or how little) the bloke in the second video soaked his brush. I was always under the impression that it's best to let your brush soak for a few minutes before starting? Just as surprised at how much water he dumped into his bowl initially -- for a moment it looked like he'd just end up with a sloppy mess. Goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Exactly, I thought he didn't stand a chance of making anything decent with that amount of water.

What's the point of even wetting the brush? Might as well start from dry once you've worked out how much water is required.

It's a bit of a catch 22 though, he needs a smallish brush to pick up enough soap in that mug and yet he could do with something bigger when whipping up some lather because he's whipping for 5 minutes or so. Quite a long time.

I occasionally adopt a sort of hybrid method by starting with a half face lather. That works the lather into both face and brush bristles nicely then go back to the bowl which usually warms everything up and allows me to produce the desired quantity and hydration.

I do exactly the same, I often do a couple of swirls and then slap lather on my face and leave it to sit while mixing the lather in the bowl.

When I watched that video I thought....

No way....way too much water
He will never make decent soap out of that
OK well if you whip it for 5 minutes then maybe
Shit he made it to shave quality, glad I didn't bet on that

For me the learning point with at video is that even the sloppiest crap can be rescued. When I was trying the Fitjar cream I dropped the brush in the sink and thinking it was unrecoverable I started again. I don't expect there to be a next time but at least I know now, I have always erred on the side of dry and add more water as I go but that video is a good demonstration of how you can come at it from the other side (ver sloppy to good mix). My fear was always adding too much water would completely screw the mix but it seems even what I thought was unrecoverable is not.

I am sure he doesn't do that every day, or at least I hope so. If I had to do that every day I would invest in a mechanical food mixer.

I tried this last night, in a slightly different manner. I soaked the brush as usual 3-5mins. I used a 25mm 2Band. I squuezed all of the water out of the brush into a bowl, alot of water. I then spun the brush on some ARKO i have in a bowl for 30sec. Within 2.5mins I had to stop due to an explosion of lather. I could have continued had I used a bowl the same size as in the video.

A case of monkey see, monkey do :lol:

antdad said:
What's the point of even wetting the brush? Might as well start from dry once you've worked out how much water is required.

Well, you'd need _some_ water in that brush to be able to pick up soap in the first place. When using creams, which can be transferred to the lathering bowl by hand, you could indeed start with a dry brush.

I've been face lathering for a year or so now. I don't think the lather is as good as when I used to use a bowl and I'm sure I use more shaving cream to do it but I find the extra face time for the lather is good for my shave. It's a bit quicker for me as well. If time wasn't an issue then I think a better shave would be to bowl lather and then spend a few minutes with the lather on my skin maybe with a hot towel as well. But I don't have the time, so face lathering wins for me for now.

Back
Top Bottom