Ever Ready Streamline - help

I won an Ever Ready Streamline on eBay the other day. The box was in fairly rough condition but the razor is in good nick. Gave it a good clean and took it for a spin this morning.

Well what can I say...it was rough, very rough. I made it through one and a bit passes before I abandoned it and switched to my trusty Gillette long comb New.

I didn't get any irritation but I got numerous weepers. Do the sages on this forum have an tips for using this razor? I've read that you have to hold the head of the razor pretty much flat against your skin, I did this but I guess the angle was still incorrect.

I've been getting fantastic shaves with my 1912 and hope with practice I can get good shaves from this too.

Here's hoping!

I'm sure with a few more shaves you'll get used to it but I find it to be over heavy and poorly balanced, it's one of my least favourite SE shavers despite it's looks and build quaility.

The Streamline is my go to daily razor and I've only had a prob once, when I suffered numerous weepers & nicks on my very first pass, which sounds similar to your own bad experience. In my case it would user error, I had allowed the blade to be slightly misaligned and not securely inserted against the locating pins on the head. I'm guessing this really was resulting in my "planing" across my cheek at a slicing angle instead of a true cutting edge.

I can only suggest trying a new GEM & make sure it's sitting true when you close the head on it. In use if you start off with the razor flat against the cheek as you said, then just alter the angle very slightly until the blade is cutting the whiskers. All being well you should hear that gr8 rasping sound of stubble being mowed (safely) down and a velvet smooth expanse of skin being left behind for suitable annointing with an unguent of your choice.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

If the blade condition wasn't the problem, and alignment wasn't the problem...and we know that your technique may not be the problem because you shave well with the 1912... Then the only thing that I can add is that sometime because of shipping or previous mishandling the whole head is bent out of Alignment. If you hold the new next to your good 1912 you can see if the angle is the same or it's misaligned.
Good luck.

Nice one thanks for the pointers. I does sound like we had similar initial problems. I'll check things out and hopefully will get some good results.

Just a quick update. I gave the razor a thorough check for any mis-alignment, it was all fine. Shaved with it this morning with a slightly different angle than before with great results. I can still tell it's the type of razor that will bite you if you're not careful but I had a great shave this morning.

Thanks once again for the advice gents.

Just a small addition:

There are two elements to the Streamline's operation.

1) The head snapping down in place over the blade
2) A small metal tab (protruding slightly through the top of the head) that clicks forward to hold the blade firmly in place

Use a fingernail to move the tab back and let go. It should click firmly and crisply into place. Even a small amount of soap scum or grease from previous years of use can make this tab "squidgy" i.e. it won't click firmly into place and can lead to the blade moving about whilst you shave.

I sliced my face the first couple of times I used my Streamline. I then spent th best part of an hour carefully cleaning all around the little tab and have had much better shaves since.

Might be worth looking at.

Back
Top Bottom