Ever ready Single edge

Tried my first ever shave with a single edge blade (ever ready razor). Struggled a bit with the angle and got a few cuts. Will do a search for videos tonight but any tips on technique?

I have yet to find anything really worth of a good video for them just because not many people use them..a good idea is keeping the head flat against your face...if your razor feels a bit harsh try palm stropping it (youtube.com..then search for "palm strop SE blade")..I feel that works best with any stainless steel blades..as time goes on and you improve on everything..you will be able to figure out you dont need to keep the head as flat and you can use the razors edge..keeping the edge against your face and going lightly

Blades

+ 1 on Blades' post. The shaving angle is allowed for in these razors by the offset between handle & head, unlike a conventional DE where the handle & head are at right angles. If you keep the head flat against the skin as Blade posted you should find that the razor just "planes" along the skin. It's not more difficult than a DE, just a wee shade different.

JohnnyO. ;)

Hiya,

The only SE razor I use is an injector, so I can't speak from experience about those models like the various 1912 types and others along that line.

The one thing I do read about is they seem to be somewhat on the aggressive side. Leads to a very close shave, but you gotta pay attention to detail. Plus, I have a feeling the blade is felt pretty strongly during the shave.

There's actually quite a few SE fans who post in various forums. It's like a club where these guys have this 'secret' they all share.........heh. Matter of fact, there's one hard core SE forum I'll include a link to. You have to join, but no worries about the place being a scam. Tons of info on everything regarding SE shaving.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://theoriginalsafety.proboards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://theoriginalsafety.proboards.com</a><!-- m -->"

Thanks for all the advice, and to dodgy for the link. I'll check that out soon.

I realised during the shave that the blade needed to lay flat, but it wasn't really practical for me allover (what about right up against the nostrils?). The blade is much thicker and has a greater bevel than the DEs I'm used to,and I found myself unconsciously lifting the (I agree) more aggressive blade upwards, like a DE shave, and I have four or five red lines on my face as a result (and quite a few weepers).
I like aggressive razors becuase I like to master them,so this hasn't put me off, but I'm sure people will be taking the proverbial out of me when I go to work on Monday!

JohnnyO said:
+ 1 on Blades' post. The shaving angle is allowed for in these razors by the offset between handle & head, unlike a conventional DE where the handle & head are at right angles. If you keep the head flat against the skin as Blade posted you should find that the razor just "planes" along the skin. It's not more difficult than a DE, just a wee shade different.

JohnnyO. ;)
Thanks JohnnyO.
And thanks for the blades that enabled the shave!

Mr Guy's vid on the micromatic might be useful, if you find the ever ready aggressive beware the micromatic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnQ1Rk68ygw[/youtube]

the speed of an SE handle/blade...is actually much quicker as your face adjusts to it than I feel compared to my DE..but then again....others may think otherwise :mrgreen:

B

sunburyboy93 said:
how fast does this f****r shave, i use and like my 1912 ever-ready but slow and steady is the way for me, this guy is a loon !![/quote

For me in shaving, as in other areas of life, taking the time in preparation followed by a leisurely and thorough performance results in greater satisfaction all round Steve. Us Scots & Greeks understand such things instinctively !!!

To shave under the nose I can get away with cross grain NTS, starting in the centre & just shaving slowly & carefully out to the cheek. That probably wouldn't work for everyone depending on direction of the grain & heaviness of growth.

Johnny (Call me The Enabler) O. :lol: /

Yes, you're definitely an enabler JohnnyO! I can quit anytime,I just don't want to. Rehab is for quitters!

I have heavy growth and on my jawline and neck (the problem areas) everything grows from left to right. I gave the cross the grain thing a try, but I usually get a lot of tugging. Thanks for the tip, though -it probably is the best way for this kind of razor I would imagine.

I'm not a patient man, so I try to take shaving at an unusually leisurely pace and enjoy all the prep first (I'm a perfectionist too so it balances out). Yesterday's shave had none of the usual conditions for a good shave: I was trying a new type of razor, a new type of blade, there was a five year old asking me what I was doing and watching the whole thing (think I've scared him off shaving for life), we were in a hurry to go out and I had a hangover. Oh, and after reading that old shaving book that was linked to on the Shaving Help section, I also decided to apply the lather without wetting my face. And to top it all, I had no access to my shaving creams or soaps so had to use Wilko green goo in a can.
What could possibly go wrong?

Will watch the vids Proinsias linked to tonight when I'm back home. And use hot water and decent cream next time!

NotTheStig said:
Tried my first ever shave with a single edge blade (ever ready razor). Struggled a bit with the angle and got a few cuts. Will do a search for videos tonight but any tips on technique?

I didn't know you could still get blades for these otherwise I might have taken a punt on the bay for one.

Kevin

GEM blades are stocked by Connaught Kevin, and possibly other suppliers. If you ever pick up an SE drop me a PM & I'll PIF a few down to you to try out. Even if you don't take to the razor you can probably sell it on for what it cost you.

JohnnyO. ;)

JohnnyO said:
GEM blades are stocked by Connaught Kevin, and possibly other suppliers. If you ever pick up an SE drop me a PM & I'll PIF a few down to you to try out. Even if you don't take to the razor you can probably sell it on for what it cost you.

JohnnyO. ;)

Thanks for that. :)

Back
Top Bottom