Ever Ready Deluxe (c.1949)

Ever%252520Ready%252520Deluxe%252520Advert.jpg

Launched at the end of the '40s, the Ever Ready Deluxe set was presented in a heavy plastic clamshell case.

IMG_2818.JPG

The head is the celebrated British 1912, fabled for giving a more aggressive shave than the American counterpart yet still as smooth as the 1912 has always delivered. The handle is a heavy metal with a chain mail pattern.

Later sets can be found with the same lightweight aluminium handle as found on the British Peerless sets into the '50s.

IMG_1503.JPG

To me, they have a certain reminder of the Streamline sets:

Ever%252520Ready%252520Streamline%252520Advert.jpg

I've also seen adverts for this razor at 6' (rather than 5'3) above, while the Streamline cost a whopping double that at 11'6.

For extra special sets, wait 'til Christmas:

Ever%252520Ready%252520Christmas%2525201949.JPG

For 8' you get the Deluxe with a pack of playing cards!

... but look at that Streamline stropper set for 21'!

Remember this?

IMG_2818.JPG

Hehe! I am really giddy about this ...

IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

... and one with a dark brown interloper at the side:

IMG_3095.JPG

As for the brush, the knot itself is not as soft as Muhle, let along Plisson/Plissoft but it is related to the Plissoft in terms of appearance and how it is dyed. Consider it a lesser quality Plissoft and with that, it is actually more authentic. Immediately, it felt like a silvertip badger - that soft of slightly scratchy/grabby tips that silvertip has, gel-tips I've heard them called. It also has a sort of vintage feel, like when you get a vintage knot and it's dry feeling, possibly a little brittle until you get it in water and get some soap on it.

In use, the brush loads up effectively and is a joy to use. The loft is just right for good backbone and much less springiness than many synthetic knots. Many synthetics get around this by reducing the springiness in the fibre, which equates to a soft, floppy knot in use - Plisson, for example. Muhle got that compromise much better. This knot feels quite different to both and as I said above, it does actually feel more like a real badger in use.

For comparison, the brush on the left (the dark brown Deco brush) has a Muhle Silvertip Fibre knot.

@Darkbulb tagged in, as he specifically requested a picture of the kit together.

21st March 2016

Bulldog Face Wash
Wickham's Super Smooth (Unscented)
Haryali Silvertip Synthetic (Blue)
Face Lathered
Ever Ready 1912 Deluxe (Blue) & GEM Stainless (1)
Single Pass - WTG (Slide)

IMG_3118_Fotor%2B%2528Blue%2529.jpg

Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Toner
Old Spice Aftershave
Jacques Bogart One Man Show (Gold Edition) EDT
Pinaud Eau De Portugal Hair Tonic​

... and we're off!!!

Beginning a run through my Ever Ready Deluxe sets and their associated coloured brushes. I have blue, red, black, white & grey as well as a brown case, with a different brown bakelite brush to come.

Good shave. First run with a GEM blade can be quite harsh, but this excellent razor from the late 1940s into the early 1950s tamed it well.

Greetings Paul

There are little tell tale clues to ages of members in this thread....This is five and thre'pence 5/3 and this is six bob 6/- :):)

Regards
Dick (Silly old bugger!)

Noted. I'm most definitely decimal in money, imperial in weights and measures and centigrade for temperature. Mate of mine is a couple of years older, the same except he's fahrenheit for temperature. I think a lot changed in a short space of time between the end of the '60s and the early '70s.

5/3 and 6/- it is.

Great looking sets. Enjoy

Cheers! I'll be enjoying these all week :D

Back
Top Bottom