Ever Ready 1912 SE The Best ?

Today's SE: Gem FeatherWeight razor.
I was a little concerned from the start because of how the razor looked and felt. The handle being plastic and the head being some type of metal. Not really your investment casting material.
Used a new Tweet SE blade. Pershave and shave cream was Prorazo.
The handle feel and balance was almost 2000 plastic throw away. True it was a little heavier. It also was one of the most non aggressive SE that I've used to date. Passes for a close shave- numerous. keeper- yes because I already have it and it looks almost new.

Good morning.
Tried my third 1912 look-a-like this morning. The Star 1912. The design and feel is like the Gem and Ever-Ready 1912's. The only difference that I noticed was that it accumulated shaving cream behind the blade when I went to clean it. The other 2 model 1912s didn't do this. Could be just the way I lathered this AM.
The shave was non aggressive. Used a 2nd shave Tweet, this may have been the reason that I needed numerous passes to get a very close shave. But, there was no burning when I used the Masters Bay Rum aftershave. All in all nice shave. Do I need all three of the 1912s in different brands. Not really the Gem or The Ever-ready would have done.

Gem Damaskeene Razor
I received a Gem Damaskeene in the mail this week and after reading up on it I decided to give it a try this morning.
First, the Damaskeene looks and feels just like my other 1912's the date on it's base is 1912, the only difference other I can see is that it has Damaskeene engraved on the razor bed and back.
Some of the readings that I did stated that the cover was 'more' concave than the 1912. Mine didn't show this. It was the same size and design as my other 1912s.
While the engraving on the razor says to use Gem Damaskeene blades everything that I read said that the "D" blade was an advertising ploy that Gem used to sell blades. They may have been right because the regular Gem SE fit and worked very well.
Used MWF this morning and as soon as I started I heard the familiar 1912 Echo as it started to cut down the beard.
A nice shave. A nice Razor. But it's still a basic solid 1912.

man of leisure said:
Now plain or milk chocolate digestives, that is the question.......or just plain digestives....no rich tea it is........I think, maybe. :angel::angel:

Rich tea for me every time. If only other life decisions were as simple.

nosedog said:
man of leisure said:
Now plain or milk chocolate digestives, that is the question.......or just plain digestives....no rich tea it is........I think, maybe. :angel::angel:

Rich tea for me every time. If only other life decisions were as simple.

Wan't it Von Clausewitz who stated that when the enemy had only two choices he would invariably take the third ! So many razors to choose ; So little time to use them !

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Been almost a week since I've written on a different SE. The new one, to me, for this morning is the: Gem Contour.
I was initially a little leery about it because of the design. We're coming to the end of the Gem line with this being one of the last models with a combination metal and plastic handles . The Contour II being their last razor. (should have one soon)
The Contour has an interesting space age type design. Brushed metal with black plastic. It's also a true push button razor. With the black 'button' being located below the head and working very well.
To me, a plus for the Contour is that it has a better feel in the hand than the all plastic handled Featherweight. The Contour's deign is more ergonomically pleasing than the Featherweight.
The SE blade is fairly easily placed in the head. Closes easily.
Now for the shave. Friendly, non aggressive, it does take more than 2 passes to give you an acceptable shave but it's really not bad. If your looking for a 2-3-4 pass shave this isn't the one but it's a fun shave with a futuristic design that doesn't feel all plastic.

This one worries me Gem1914!

After waiting to find one for some time, I can now understand why there are that many of them around!
The mechanics of it doesn't seem to lend to longevity! While by the date it seems that it should be advanced from the 1912 it really isn't. It seems that it should predate it!
First difficulty was with positioning the blade. I've tried most of the gems but this was the 1st one to scare me. It's. As if it were designed for something other than todays SE blades. There's two springs the one that holds the top down and the razor in place(?) and then there's one that go around the Back of the razor with front prongs that correspond to the blades side notches. But the don't seem to do anything with todays SE blades.
1st Gem blade that I put in(thought I carefully positioned) did Nothing! it looked as if it was positioned correctly. I was very careful as I didn't trust the setup! But nothing!
Replaced it with a second and that one did work. Started off not pressing at all, for fear of really slicing myself, but found that I did need to press to get it shave.
After a number of passes I started to be more trusting(like playing with a strange dog), and it did give a close safe shave. But... I'm not sure I'll take it off the shelf again.
Anyone have a experience with a 1914 that was the same or different?

My favorites are the G-Bar and Clog Pruf (depending on weather I want a mild or aggressive shave), but both also have disadvantages to the 1912.

If I could only have one SE it would be the 1912. They got the balace just right with that one.

They're also cheap, easy to find and not much to go wrong.

I think you may be right. I've tried to shave with as many of them as I could find( good thing they're inexpensive) and the Benchmark is the 1912. The others are nice as they reflect the changing Design preferences of the time. But the 1912 experience is the one have.

I've tried a lot of these out now and they all have their merits; it's not necessarily heavy weight or high price that provides the most enjoyment. I guess it comes down to what kind of job you want done at the time and how it feels in your hand. But for me I always keep coming back... to chocolate hob nobs.
:)

man of leisure said:
Well I now have a serious problem, the biscuits are in need of a change, just used a Gem Micromatic O/C this morning. After reading about them started with trepidation, ended up having the closest smoothest shave ever. Me and my bragging the 1912 is the best thing since sliced bread.
Regards,
Pete

You should try the 1914. Makes the MMOC look like a pussycat, but if you take care the shave is outstanding.

Drroly said:
man of leisure said:
Well I now have a serious problem, the biscuits are in need of a change, just used a Gem Micromatic O/C this morning. After reading about them started with trepidation, ended up having the closest smoothest shave ever. Me and my bragging the 1912 is the best thing since sliced bread.
Regards,
Pete

You should try the 1914. Makes the MMOC look like a pussycat, but if you take care the shave is outstanding.

Have used a 1914 was not impressed the O/C Gem Micromatic is the only razor I use now. As they say each to his own..:icon_razz::icon_razz:

Pete

Definitely a personal thing. I prefer both the 1914 and 1924 to the 1912, but most people on the net seem to dislike them. Maybe because blade loading is a real pain.

TBH I get great shaves from all the SEs I've tried. They all have a different personality.

Back
Top Bottom