Ever Ready 1912 - Any info on this?

Hi,

I think this is the right place for this, apologies if not. This razor has recently been inherited and I was looking for any info regarding it.

Not sure I fancy trying it for my 6.30am morning shave, but never say never!

[attachment=6642][attachment=6643][attachment=6644]

Attachments

• ever ready 1.jpg
    ever ready 1.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 62
  • ever ready 2.jpg
    ever ready 2.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 46
  • ever ready 3.jpg
    ever ready 3.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 36
After looking online I've found very few sites with info compared to DE razors, but I have found that:

These razors were produced by the "American Safety Razor company" under the names "GEM, Ever Ready and Star". Apparantly an employee of the Star company started the Gem and Ever Ready companies before they were all bought by ASR. The design was patented in 1912 and there were only minor differences between each brand (if any).

I'm certain I read somewhere (although I can't find it now) that the 1912 was produced into the 40's and was one of the most successful razors produced.

I don't really have any more info, but I would love it if someone with actualy knowledge of these would lend a hand!

Edit: Never mind, Helveticum has provided a good database - thank you!

I bought one of these. Visited Connaughts site. Bought blades that were swiftly delivered and shaved. Enjoyable experience. Give it a go. I am told not as 'angry' as a Gem?? Good luck with this 1912 and the undoubtable forthcoming interest/addiction to all things shaving.

Light touch, smooth and slow, use it for a single pass to start and take it from there. I must confess I felt the same when I was first confronted by a SE razor, but now I am fighting an addiction.

From a purely non-shaving aspect they also seem to be available at much more affordable levels than some DEs which are spiralling into silly money.

You'll only know if you try.....

You know you want to...

Good luck

Jon

I've had a few shaves with mine now- "addiction" is the right word! It just seems so much more intuitive than my DEs, and the noise it makes as it's cutting is sublime.

mulligano said:
I've had a few shaves with mine now- "addiction" is the right word! It just seems so much more intuitive than my DEs, and the noise it makes as it's cutting is sublime.

Like a knife scraping dry toast..... second only to fizz of my fly line as it cascades off the reel with an angry trout on the end.

Jon

Just got one of these myself, and used it for the first time today. Have to say I'm very impressed too. Bought some GEM blades from Connaught, however, noticed that Amazon sell SE blades made by Treet - anyone had any experience of them - how do they compare?

Greetings

Treet SE blades are carbon blades whereas the blades that Connaught sells are Stainless steel with a PTFE coating on them.

GEM Blue Star are another popular carbon steel blade, both of these blades are only sold in the USA and the blades on Amazon come from there.

Ed (Monkeytennis) very kindly sent me some Treet's to try and I found that they are only a two shave blade and I would only consider my beard to be medium. I understand ED does better with them than I did. I did better with the Gem Blue stars; I found they lasted for three sometimes four shaves but again they are only available from the USA.

Both of these carbon blades need to be removed from the razor and thoroughly dried, they will rust overnight. They should not be stored in the bathroom.

Carbon SE blades shave very well but have a slightly different feel to them, they do not glide across the skin like a coated stainless blade, this is (IMHO) nothing to do with the sharpness and everything to do with the coatings modern stainless blades have on them and the fact that we are just not used to shaving with uncoated carbon blades as our fathers were.

Carbon SE blades are also more expensive than the coated stainless blades from Connaught's so there might lie your answer.

Regards
Dick.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

Treet SE blades are carbon blades whereas the blades that Connaught sells are Stainless steel with a PTFE coating on them.

GEM Blue Star are another popular carbon steel blade, both of these blades are only sold in the USA and the blades on Amazon come from there.

Ed (Monkeytennis) very kindly sent me some Treet's to try and I found that they are only a two shave blade and I would only consider my beard to be medium. I understand ED does better with them than I did. I did better with the Gem Blue stars; I found they lasted for three sometimes four shaves but again they are only available from the USA.

Both of these carbon blades need to be removed from the razor and thoroughly dried, they will rust overnight. They should not be stored in the bathroom.

Carbon SE blades shave very well but have a slightly different feel to them, they do not glide across the skin like a coated stainless blade, this is (IMHO) nothing to do with the sharpness and everything to do with the coatings modern stainless blades have on them and the fact that we are just not used to shaving with uncoated carbon blades as our fathers were.

Carbon SE blades are also more expensive than the coated stainless blades from Connaught's so there might lie your answer.

Regards
Dick.

There it does indeed, Dick! Thanks very much indeed for that little insight there though Dick - very informative and much appreciated. Everyday's a school day!

I use the 1912 as well as a few other SE razors. I think the blades no matter what brand are made in the same factory. So far I have only used the carbon blades and I find them to be hit or miss as far as the quality of the shave. Not sure if it is a quality control issue or the nature of the blade? That being said when I do get a good blade the shave is amazing. Now for a really nice blade try an old injector if you get a chance

Back
Top Bottom