Evening

Hi,

Have just joined - been straight shaving for about a year and a half now, have a quite nice blade which I unfortunately haven't been using as I can't get an edge on it - its been sat in the drawer for about a year. It was a present to me and the buyer isn't best pleased!

Anyhow, to keep in the swing of things, I got a cheap disposable blade straight and have been using that since. I find that I get much more razor burn with it than I did with my "proper" one using Supermax blades and also plenty more nicks because of the corners. I had the razor sharpened at a reputable barbers in St. James but am yet to be able to get an edge with the strops I've used - both a hanging and a paddle. Perhaps I need to invest in a new one and get on with trying again as I pasted the paddle up today and am still struggling to get it anywhere near the handing hair test.

I've also just, on a bad whim, purchased (for over the odds I might add) a Rolls which unfortunately has a cracked hone, but otherwise looks good. I'm hoping to give it a go some time soon. I'm looking to get a replacement stone or another set and get one sorted out then maybe gift the other to my father.

About me...

I'm 24, live in London and work under it. Mainly in my spare time I can be found fixing my old VW and going to the gym.

Hello and welcome. Regards from Riga, Latvia.

You'll find plenty of info here, check the 'Straights' section and shoot freely any questions to the board...

Hello and welcome.

Get on to neil millar at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/</a><!-- m --> he will be able to hone your razor back to a great edge, would not bother with the hanging hair test to be honest a lot of variables in it. Also would make sure you have a un pasted strop to use for your daily stropping, the pastes are only good for bringing back a good edge,

Welcome Mr Kaholik, always nice to see another straight user joining up.

To business: your razor is overdue for honing by the sound of it, well beyond the chrome oxide stage. If you want to do it yourself, you may as well take it right back down to the 1000 grit mark - that's what I'd do - and get that bevel flat again, then work your way up to a finishing stone. Far better would be to give Neil a shout, get the razor right and go very easy with the pastes from there onwards. If you've pasted both your strops you really should think about getting another one to use without anything on it - personally I won't use the stuff at all, which isn't to say that I don't have a few very dodgy stropping strategies in my repertoire ;)

Thanks Kev... Like I said, interests collide :) The internet is a small place.

Thanks for all the comments gents.

I'll definately have a look into getting my razor honed again, and investing in a half decent strop minus paste, my hanger is about ready for the bin to be honest, it was a cheap and foolish purchase. I really do miss the shave it gave compared to the disposable blades I'm using now.

I have just purchased another Rolls from Parwin on here - cheaper and in better condition than the one that I have already :( You live and learn - I need to keep my fingers away from the temptation of the mouse and the closing hours of an auction not expecting to win!

I also need to revisit the tutorials on stropping and perhaps look at changing soaps, the Kent on that I am using is depleting, it has lasted well, but has of late been mostly replaced by King Of Shaves oil, which I have been very impressed with.

Hi & very welcome to TSR Al. If you have any probs sorting out the Rolls & fancy trying a single edge just pm me & I'll loan you my spare one with some blades to try out for a few weeks. Glad to hear you live on the surface in London & work underground ............ if it was the other way round I'd be imagining you as a (well shaved) womble !

JohnnyO. \ :D

Thanks for the offer JohnnyO. :) not so much underground work at the moment, but I'm sure its going to pick up again. Lucky enough to work very centrally and live nowhere near Wimbledon Way!

I wonder what a shaved womble would look like?...

Back
Top Bottom