equivalent setting

So having adopted this beautiful slim adjustable I'm after an idea of where to start.
What sort of setting gives a similar aggressiveness and blade gap to an HD500 with a Gillette super thin.

Might be useful

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.ph ... essiveness</a><!-- m -->

For a manly forum such as TSR you could always have posted that you started at 9 with your personally honed & prepared Feather AGT and then just dialled it sequentially down until the day dawned when your face was not left a weeping red ruin.

(I didn't say do it ................. just post it !).

I use mine at 7 .

JohnnyO. :cool:

heroblob said:
So having adopted this beautiful slim adjustable I'm after an idea of where to start.
What sort of setting gives a similar aggressiveness and blade gap to an HD500 with a Gillette super thin.

Hi there,

You might like to start with the setting at #3 or #4 for the first few shaves and see how that works. Seems to me most fixed head Gillettes feel like they're set on about #5, if that helps at all.

One important thing to remember when using Gillette adjustables is to make sure you lock the head properly. That's done by giving the handle an extra 1/4 turn once it's sorta snugged down. It's tough to explain what I mean, but you'll feel it. Heh, you don't want that blade flopping around in mid stroke.

Martin

Thanks for all the replies lads.
Jonny as you know from previous posts that i am manly enough to go straight for the Feather on 9, I'm just not manly enough to print the results.

I do understand what you mean about the extra 1/4 turn lock, but i hadn't heard of the slackening off of the lock before adjusting the dial. Thanks for that.

Had to have a shave today and elected to use the HD500 for it's final run in this weeks rotation. However i will also require a shave tomorrow as i am being taken out for a nice meal. I don't normally shave 2 days on the bounce, so tomorrow may be a good chance to give the slim it's first run out on a low setting to just tidy things up. So the slim is loaded with a Super thin and set on 2 awaiting a nice buff up tomorrow. :D

dodgy said:
heroblob said:

Hi there,

You might like to start with the setting at #3 or #4 for the first few shaves and see how that works. Seems to me most fixed head Gillettes feel like they're set on about #5, if that helps at all.

One important thing to remember when using Gillette adjustables is to make sure you lock the head properly. That's done by giving the handle an extra 1/4 turn once it's sorta snugged down. It's tough to explain what I mean, but you'll feel it. Heh, you don't want that blade flopping around in mid stroke.

Martin

I know what you mean about the extra quarter turn Martin as I made that mistake the first I used my slim and ended up irritating my face :(

As for the OP I use a Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge in my slim, start on a 3 for the first pass and then dial it up to a 5 on the second pass and I get a pretty good shave.

I had my first run with the slim Saturday afternoon before going out for the evening. Due to having a shave on the Friday, and don't normally shave two days on the bounce, i decided to take it easy. Loaded a Gillette super thin and dialed it down to 2 and took a nice slow 2 pass tidy up. Very Pleasent indeed. :D

Back
Top Bottom