End of european badger hair in shaving brushes?Plisson & VL

Re: End of european badger hair in shaving brushes?Plisson &

Interesting paper here (well I think it is) on the detection of protected Eurasian badger hair in brushes sold in countries where they are protected. 50% of the brushes they tested was found to contain the protected hair type.

The good thing about boards and asking for information is that ususally you get it from the right people.I have received a pm from a really trustable source about Plisson: according to Vikim Diffusion (the company behind Plisson,Joris and Maison Du Barbier) the hair comes from China,yes,but from Meles Meles badger,the european badger.How this badger species was introduced in China,I dont know but its living in some parts of China and it seems that Plisson its getting that kind of hair for the european white line.So its chinese badger with european DNA.
So at the end its european badger with chinese passport.
Interesting stuff unless that somebody elses got more info about this,but it seems pretty clear now.

Look at the distribution map here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/European_Badger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/European_Badger</a><!-- m -->

And some are found in remote mountain areas.

Fido said:
Look at the distribution map here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/European_Badger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/European_Badger</a><!-- m -->

And some are found in remote mountain areas.
Thats a cool link,Fido.Thanks a lot.

Yellow Jim said:
Interesting paper here (well I think it is) on the detection of protected Eurasian badger hair in brushes sold in countries where they are protected. 50% of the brushes they tested was found to contain the protected hair type.

Which is the paper I referred to in one of my original posts - in a previous thread. Note that even if brushes are made with Meles meles hair from chinese badgers, they are banned in countries that protect Meles meles, even if it is from a distinct subspecies. Unless they explicitly exclude a non-indigenous subspecies from their protection.

ALso note that if bush lots from china contain mixes of hog badger and eurasian badger hair, does that not at least suggest that there is no real (quality) difference between the two?

Google is your friend

Wowzers I honestly did not know Euro Badgers were protected me so stupid gentlmens
aFu_ComputerSlap.gif

Hunting badgers is common in many countries. Manipulating the badger population is prohibited in many European countries as badgers are listed in the Berne Convention, but they are not otherwise the subject of any international treaty or legislation.

The blood sport of badger-baiting was outlawed in the United Kingdom by the Cruelty to Animals Act 1835 as well as the Protection of Badgers Act 1992 which makes it a serious offence to kill, injure or take a badger, or to damage or interfere with a sett unless a licence is obtained from a statutory authority. An exemption that allowed fox hunters to loosely block setts to prevent chased foxes escaping into them was brought to an end with the passage of the Hunting Act 2004.

Many badgers in Europe were gassed[citation needed] during the 1960s and 1970s to control rabies. Until the 1980s, gassing was also practised in the UK to control the spread of bovine TB.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger</a><!-- m -->

Not necessarily a Bible but it's generally good guideline.

RB73 said:
Yep, im trying to find the earliest of Fido's posts on a couple of the other sites from when he was trying to get information from brush makers marketing "Made in England".

Like you, a wall of silence and plenty of feathers ruffled.

An otherwise piss poor attempt at a REPOST. Look no further here are the originals by the almighty all-knowing awesomeness that is Fido:

I love how it created a stir at this God forsaken sh*thole:
Rooney brushes

R A Rooney

TSR > SMF

Worth a read.

henkverhaar said:
Yellow Jim said:

Which is the paper I referred to in one of my original posts - in a previous thread. Note that even if brushes are made with Meles meles hair from chinese badgers, they are banned in countries that protect Meles meles, even if it is from a distinct subspecies. Unless they explicitly exclude a non-indigenous subspecies from their protection.

ALso note that if bush lots from china contain mixes of hog badger and eurasian badger hair, does that not at least suggest that there is no real (quality) difference between the two?
For what I have been told today,Plisson uses Meles Meles and unless another more accurate info pop up,it seems thats how it is.Now the question is how on the earth do they manage to sell them in Europe without being penalize. :?

Teiste said:
For what I have been told today,Plisson uses Meles Meles and unless another more accurate info pop up,it seems thats how it is.Now the question is how on the earth do they manage to sell them in Europe without being penalize. :?

I think it is quite possible that Plisson DO have (had?) a source of Meles meles hair, from outside the EU (Russia, China?). What you see here is most likely a case of a trade so small, there is no incentive to police it and enforce any applicable treaty (unless you get the odd individual inspector who takes a personal interest in it, as apparently happened in the Netherlands when someone started to 'speciate' the hair on imported brushes from china).

Henk

Back
Top Bottom