EJ DE89 to Chatsworth advice please

Hi all - I am the proud owner of a single razor the EJ DE89. This was my first 'proper' DE razor and I am very happy with it. But despite that I wondered about premium razors - because more expensive must mean better :D. After some research I came to the conclusion that this was not the case and I could get just as good shaves from my humble razor. I was quite happy with this until I discovered the EJ Chatsworth range, which has the same head that I am used to but with added handle length and weight. The longer handle and weight appeal to me as my hands are not that dainty but I am not sure what difference to the shave it will make. I don't want to ruin a good thing I have going with my EJ DE89 but then again I don't want to miss out on something that could improve the experience.

Any thoughts from anyone with experience in this area much appreciated (as always). Thanks :mrgreen:

A heavier handle does change the shave. I have a tech head which gave a terribly light shave, so much so that I gave up on it. Later, I put a substantially heavier handle on it and got one of the best shaves ever.

Sorry, but this one is back in your court. You either want to experiment and try all sorts of options or you dont. But no one can tell you if you will prefer an option because (all together now) YMMV.

I've got both, the heads are identical, the DE89L has a hollow metal handle, the Chatsworth is solid metal and longer so much more heft. I like both, but I don't think the Chatsworth is worth over twice the price of the DE89L.

The Chatsworth is a different experience to the DE89.

I prefer using the DE89 on my face and using the Chatsworth to shave my head - the extra weight and handle length make it perfect for this.

I sold my EJ89 and moved on to the Chatsworth. On reflection I should probably have stuck with the '89 and spent the difference on something else. But how do we learn to resist temptation? And do we really want to?

Thanks for all the input. Being happy with what I've got I think I'll save the pennies. (When I say save I actually mean spend it on something else :D )

I have the Chatsworth Barley razor. What inspired me to buy it was its weight, size and shape. I had been using a tuning fork catapault water dowser veg peeler to shave with - i.e. King Of Shaves Azor. This was the metal version which is 47g and uses dreaded cartridges. But somehow, it was the Azor's size that got me onto larger razors. My razor before the Azor was the Wilkinson Sword Protector Diamond twin blade cartridge, which has a fairly weighty handle as well.

My original choice of DE razor was the barberpole Merkhur razor, until I saw the Chatsworth. Although £70 may be a bit steep, it is my only DE razor and I enjoy using it every time I shave. I would say that while it is heavier and larger, it gives you more option of where to hold the handle - further down or higher up, so in effect having the best of a short or long handled razor. I thought carefully before buying it, then got skin soreness from the Azor, said goodbye to cartridges and got the Chatsworth. Buy it to use, not just to have another razor.

EJ also have 'Plaza' razors, which are a bit like the Chatsworth but a larger handle. I can't imagine a chrome version being made though because it would be too heavy.

Hiya,

I've used both the EJ DE89L and the lined Chatsworth razors and yeah, they don't shave the same which is mainly because of the weight difference. Heh, unfortunately, that head didn't fit me well enough to continue using one, but I did notice a change in the performance when switching off.

To me, the much heavier (and longer handle )Chatsworth model was a kinda distraction. Made the razor too handle heavy for easy control, and it added some extra bite as well. Personally, I prefer a razor a bit more evenly balanced, or even a bit head heavy. The EJ 89 felt better in my hand as far as that went.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom