Edwin Jagger DE86 -v- 3ONE6

The DE86 is a very popular razor, particularly with those starting out DE shaving. I've seen a number of people ask how the 3ONE6 compares and if it would be a good "next razor". I think that by now most people know that it is not a stainless steel DE86. Some people have been disappointed by that and some love it.

But, how do these two brothers stack up to each other? Let's find out by comparing the razors themselves then shaving with them on alternate days and recording the results.

20230428_174852.jpg

So, first of all, the stats lifted off the web:

• Edwin Jagger DE86 Black DE Safety Razor (Closed Comb)
• Overall length: 93mm (3.7")
• Handle length: 83mm (3.3")
• Weight: 68g (2.4oz)

• Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Stainless Steel Knurled DE Safety Razor
• Made from Sheffield 316-grade stainless steel — resistant to corrosion and pitting
• Overall length of 96.6mm (3.8")
• Weight of 85.2g (3oz)

20230428_174517.jpg

The razors are at very different price points. The 3ONE6 is +/- 3 times the price of the DE86. Both are really well finished and feel worthy of their price tags. To be honest the DE86 feels above its price point and is one of the most solid and nicely finished sub £30 razors I've handled.

The 3ONE6's handle is very grippy and the extra weight and etching help it to feel a step up. Both razors are very well balanced and fit together perfectly.

20230428_183648.jpg

20230428_183527.jpg

The blade is held securely and squarely in both of these, but the 3ONE6 has considerably more blade gap.

20230428_183856.jpg

20230428_183827.jpg

Obviously the 3ONE6 is likely to last longer being stainless steel rather than plated, but neither feels like it's going to wear out anytime soon.

Last edited:
The Test.

I'll shave with each razor 3 times, alternating day by day. I'll follow the exact same process of a 2 pass shave (with a little tidying) with a warm wash before each pass and finish with a cold wash.

I'll use preshave oil and alum after to check for damage.

I record the details of each shave and update this thread at the end of the week with the findings.

This is the kit I'll be using:

20230428_173556.jpg

20230428_174415.jpg

Looking forward to read your findings. I have a feeling this comparison will have the same outcome as a Muhle R89 vs Rocca :unsure:

I'm quite interested myself. Not used an '86 for more years than I can remember so other than what we all know (smooth, easy, comfortable) I really can't remember much about it...

1st shave tomorrow.

The DE86 is a very popular razor, particularly with those starting out DE shaving. I've seen a number of people ask how the 3ONE6 compares and if it would be a good "next razor". I think that by now most people know that it is not a stainless steel DE86. Some people have been disappointed by that and some love it.

But, how do these two brothers stack up to each other? Let's find out by comparing the razors themselves then shaving with them on alternate days and recording the results.

View attachment 104790

• Made from Sheffield 316-grade stainless steel — resistant to corrosion and pitting
• Weight of 85.2g (3oz)

View attachment 104789

The razors are at very different price points. The 3ONE6 is +/- 3 times the price of the DE86. Both are really well finished and feel worthy of their price tags. To be honest the DE86 feels above its price point and is one of the most solid and nicely finished sub £30 razors I've handled.

The 3ONE6's handle is very grippy and the extra weight and etching help it to feel a step up. Both razors are very well balanced and fit together perfectly.

View attachment 104793

View attachment 104792

The blade is held securely and squarely in both of these, but the 3ONE6 has considerably more blade gap.

View attachment 104794

View attachment 104795

Obviously the 3ONE6 is likely to last longer being stainless steel rather than plated, but neither feels like it's going to wear out anytime soon.
Look forward to reading the comparison. My first decent razor was the DE89, and it gives a very good shave. I’ve been very tempted by the 3ONE6 when I’ve seen it at a tempting price, but not pulled the trigger. I do like EJ products, but was annoyed when I was bought as a present what would have been quite an expensive EJ razor that turned out to just be the DE89 head on an overpriced EJ handle! I do wish EJ wouldn’t repackage the same head again and again at wildly different points, or if they are at least make the head on the pricey versions stainless steel *rant over*

Look forward to reading the comparison. My first decent razor was the DE89, and it gives a very good shave. I’ve been very tempted by the 3ONE6 when I’ve seen it at a tempting price, but not pulled the trigger. I do like EJ products, but was annoyed when I was bought as a present what would have been quite an expensive EJ razor that turned out to just be the DE89 head on an overpriced EJ handle! I do wish EJ wouldn’t repackage the same head again and again at wildly different points, or if they are at least make the head on the pricey versions stainless steel *rant over*

I have to agree, although it is a head which shaves very well and their overall quality tends to be good.

Last edited:
I look forward to your thoughts as the 3One is a razor I’ve often thought 'should I, shouldn't I?'

Despite having some exotica I have always had a deep rooted love for the 89 (in my case the Muhle R89) based mainly on its honesty over not being something it isn't and for the quality of shave it delivers. An 'it is what it is' attitude. Why I gave it my 'Razor Of the year award'.

I am sure a standard 89 would last a lifetime, but if it doesn't, so what? It's not a bank loan to replace.

But the 3One? It would need to really sell it to me before I got the plastic out. I did so with the Rocca and rather let down. What they really needed was a stainless 89. They've done the 41 in every material possible and personally don't think it is all that. Why not the 89? May be anything beyond zamac would miss the point as to why it exists.

So yeh look forward. Bring it on, sell it to me.

Then you are a great man (lady?)
A plain, fat old bloke. I am they, they are me, we are altogether.

Matron. MATRON! Oh, there you are. I say, old girl, the electric shock therapy via crocodile clips on my testicles hasn’t worked. I’m still spouting the same old pish. No, you may not repeat the experiment as the burns have not yet healed. No, no and no again - how many times do I have to tell you that caustic soda isn’t for the treatment of burns. But yes, I will have some of your special yellow pills, if you please. Honestly, ruddy woman’s a menace…

I look forward to your thoughts as the 3One is a razor I’ve often thought 'should I, shouldn't I?'

Despite having some exotica I have always had a deep rooted love for the 89 (in my case the Muhle R89) based mainly on its honesty over not being something it isn't and for the quality of shave it delivers. An 'it is what it is' attitude. Why I gave it my 'Razor Of the year award'.

I am sure a standard 89 would last a lifetime, but if it doesn't, so what? It's not a bank loan to replace.

But the 3One? It would need to really sell it to me before I got the plastic out. I did so with the Rocca and rather let down. What they really needed was a stainless 89. They've done the 41 in every material possible and personally don't think it is all that. Why not the 89? May be anything beyond zamac would miss the point as to why it exists.

The Muhle R89 has reached cult status, it is the truly iconic razor that everyone loves and I think Muhle is missing a trick in failing to produce it in stainless steel..
Would it really work though, the stainless R41 didn't feel the same as the 2013 R41, the change in material changed the feel of it, now, if they made a titanium R89 I could see that working very well and I believe people will buy it, I would!
Come on Muhle pull your finger out!

Paul.

Last edited:

I wonder if the weight of an SS 86 / 89 would alter that wonderful shave... (?) I had forgotten just how good these are until I borrowed this one.

Interesting that you felt let down by the Rocca. I was torn between that and the 3ONE6 but went for the EJ as it added some variation to my collection.

The Muhle R89 has reached cult status, it is the truly iconic razor that everyone loves and I think Muhle is missing a trick in failing to produce it in stainless steel..
Would it really work though, the stainless R41 didn't feel the same as the 2013 R41, the change in material changed the feel of it, now, if they made a titanium R89 I could see that working very well and I believe people will buy it, I would!
Come on Muhle pull your finger out!

Paul.

That could make sense. Personally I'm not a Ti fan, but you're right about the R41GS. I love it but it's definitely more like the 2011. Not sure if that's because of the weight or the head, but it's different to the other models

That could make sense. Personally I'm not a Ti fan, but you're right about the R41GS. I love it but it's definitely more like the 2011. Not sure if that's because of the weight or the head, but it's different to the other models
I have the earlier R41 models, and the GS, and for some reason I find the latter to be a razor that suits me more than its predecessors; possibly for the reasons you mention. Since my older zamak Merkur razors fell apart, the only ones I now have in that material are my Progress/Mergress/Digress.

The 3ONE6 razors are also in the upper end of my "like-use often" list. I have the all-stainless and the aluminium handled versions, but I tend to favour the former. Oddly, the head on these has more than a passing resemblance to an old ball-end 3-piece with no name on it that I have, even down to the ribbing on the safety bars, which I don't recall seeing elsewhere (but please set me straight on that).

View attachment 104790

• Weight of 85.2g (3oz)

View attachment 104789

View attachment 104793

View attachment 104792

View attachment 104794

View attachment 104795

OK

Each razor has now been used 3 times with a Bolzano blade. What have I discovered?

20230429_124148.jpg

20230430_143311.jpg

Quality and Value:

Both of these are very well built and well designed razors. The finish on each is faultless.

20230504_133050.jpg

Value-wise, the DE86 has to win. It is around a third of the 3ONE6's price. The 3ONE6 is stainless steel, but I doubt you'll get through 2, let alone 3, '86s in a lifetime.

Both razors come in various versions with different handles, but in these configurations the 3ONE6's handle is much better. It's more grippy and the extra length feels better in my hand.

Comfort:

These are both very smooth, comfortable razors I stuck to my usual 2 passes with a little tidying.

Despite being the only one to draw blood (when it found a couple of blemishes which the 3ONE6 ignored) the DE86 was the smoothest. It is like shaving with butter. But, if I was tempted to put in more work to match the 3ONE6's efficency, I could over-shave a little with it.

Efficiency:

The '86 was more efficient than I remembered. 2 passes gave a good, generally close shave with a little stubble to feel on the jaw line.

1 pass with the 3ONE6 gave a similar result. 2 left me BBS. On one day's notes all I wrote was "perfect".

The real difference can be seen after 24 hours.

DE86

20230430_142835.jpg

3ONE6

20230501_123217.jpg

Conclusion:

So, if you love your DE86 should you buy the 3ONE6? It depends on what you love about it.

If you like the comfort but want more effectiveness, maybe. If you want a stainless steel DE86, no.

You'll get a little sting off your alum/aftersgave which is missing after a shave with the '86. But you'll also get a longer lasting shave in fewer passes.

That, for me, makes the stainless steel razor the one to have.

Back
Top Bottom