ebay purchase - any info appreciated

Picked this up on the bay last week. Cost about £5 with p&p. Last minute bid with only one crappy phone pic to go on. Arrived a bit rustier than I was hoping for. The rust was covering a fair bit of the middle of the bevel. A bit of very rough sanding and a while on a king 1000grit and things are looking better. The bevel looks in decent condition now I've honed it back and all but the toe is shaving arm hair. The scales are pretty badly warped but will do in the mean time.

It was listed as a Gotta and that's what it says on the box. But not on the razor.

The tang says 'Government' on one side and 'Forged & Ground in Germany' on the other. The spine is lovely, first razor I've had with any spine detail.

A few pics:
DSCF0029.JPG

DSCF0026.JPG

DSCF0028.JPG

DSCF0032.JPG

I've heard good things about Gotta razors but the ones I've seen online don't look much like this, any ideas? Googling for Gotta, Favorite and Government is rather tedious. I keep finding out what the government gotta do to sort things out.

Nice looking razor! The fancy spine will probably mark your strop, though (a bit of electrical tape over the spine before stropping will sort that out).

I doubt that you will ever be able to identify the maker. From the "Government" stamp and the spelling of "Favorite" (no 'u') it was probably a direct import from a german maker to the US - a gernment-issued razor for men in the forces or similar. Favorite would only refer to the model, not the maker.

I would disregard the Gotta id - boxes aren't really reliable as indicators unless you buy the razor mint from a shop. Otherwise, they get lost and replaced, mixed up, etc.

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom