Durance en Provence soaps

Anyone ever used any of these? They are about £12 for a saop in bowl and £12 for a balm. Never heard of them but John Lewis used to stock them and it got me curious?

Never tried the soap, I remember reading on B&B that it wasn't that highly rated. I do have the Durance en Provence L'ome EDT, difficult to describe what it smells like. It contains sea buckthorn, whatever that is, and does smell quite clean and fresh. I really like it, although it's not very long lasting.

Don't waste your money, the soap is a very poor performer. It smells nice, subtle, but lathers poorly and offers almost no protection to the face. Not worth the money in any shape or form, many, many better buys out there. I use mine in the bath now :lol: . I've heard the scent is similar to Cade, but of course, Cade's well known to be a good performer and only a couple of quid more! Also, the eau de toilette is not bad, but wasn't to my taste so exchanged it with Aberimp for some SCS cream.

wow, just goes to show, different soaps for different folks.

I have only used the L'ome once, but it lathered up a storm for me. Maybe it's one that likes cold water shaves?

Also, I did let it soak in its bowl in a little bit of water for a fair time...
  • I don't remember how long, maybe 15 minutes while SWMBA and I had a 'civilised chat' about something no doubt.
    • I didn't get bled using it that day, so it couldn't have been too weak willed a lather.[/list:u][/list:u]

Ah, well ...

Urban Hermit said:
  • I don't remember how long, maybe 15 minutes while SWMBA and I had a 'civilised chat' about something no doubt.

• Just curious, but what does the A stand for in SWMBA? Adored, abhorred, avoided??? I need to know!! :x

I have a lot of trouble with the "O" word* in the usual acronym. Often/usually(?) it stands for "Adored", but some times, you know, just by looking at her, I can tell she must be "Annoyed" ...
    • ... and sometimes, I'm just so immature, and I can't help myself - She Must Be Annoyed!
      • ... and often she is once I've begun working the old magic![/list:u][/list:u]
        • Hey, it's a gift! - my aunt gave it to me.
          • ... I had asked for a bicycle.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

NOTE:
            * by the "O" word, I mean "Obey(ed)", not one of the other "O" words, sometimes referred to as the "O" word.

Cheers. I may just give it a miss. I'm looking for one other soap, something like MWF.

I have MWF as my sole remaining soap and i want one other to add to it. I have tried all/most the Trumpers, DR Harris, Taylors, Tabac, SCS, AOS, proraso and for one reason or another they dont agree with me or they arent up to scratch/too expensive.

I love MWF as its clean hardly scented and lathers like a beast. Anyone got a suggestion for another?

Have you tried any of Sharon's (Soapalchemist) soft soaps? I can recommend the 'Exotic', it smells nice (sandalwoody I'm told), and does an excellent job providing a quality lather which is very cushioning. Pretty good value too I think, 100g for £6.75, OK, not the cheapest, but it's on a par with the 3T's in my experience.

Forgot to mention Culmak is also very good, traditional type/faint lavender scent and very good lather. I'm no expert, but it's very similar if not identical to the Vulfix (it's unbranded, but he told me it's Vulfix) soap sold on eBay by chick1154 for £3.12 (sorry, don't know how to insert a webpage), just search for shaving soap. For the money I'd definitely recommend it. :shave. Also, Boots shave bowl and Erasmic are worth a go.

rich_ant said:
Have you tried any of Sharon's (Soapalchemist) soft soaps? I can recommend the 'Exotic', it smells nice (sandalwoody I'm told), and does an excellent job providing a quality lather which is very cushioning. Pretty good value too I think, 100g for £6.75, OK, not the cheapest, but it's on a par with the 3T's in my experience.

+1 Nanny's - Citrus Zinger, Exotic, Lavender are all top shelf in my view; very gentle. User friendly takes on a new dimension with these soft shave soaps. Exotic is the re-formulated 'Sandalwoody' more like Ylang Ylangy.

Okay if you only want another soap, I would go for a Shea Butter or Provence soap - Institut Karité, Provence Santé (my fav!), Pré de Provence (US Only) or another tallow soap such as The Art of Shaving 's cousin the Valobra shave stick (I would include Tabac, but you been there and got the T shirt)

Back
Top Bottom