DR Harris - Simpsons Labels

Visiting D.R. Harris today, I was curious to see what appeared to be the 'old style' come-off-in-the-water decal labels on their range of Simpsons brushes. It occurred to me that they may be selling some Somerset stock that they'd found in the basement somewhere! However, the manageress explained that they were Vulfix brushes, but that D. R. Harris had specified the old style label - '"The new labels may be good enough for other stores, but not for us", she declared!!

[attachment=0]

[attachment=1]

Attachments

• Harris Chubbies 2.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 108
  • DR Harris2.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 103
If i was paying (as i will in the future) a decent wedge for a brush, with an established name - believe me i expect that name label to be nailed on :)

Ideally it should also come with a logo emblazoned erm... blazer, tie and matching cufflink set and finally an entry code into the special inner sanctum areas of a very distinguished american website catering for smug gentlemen ;)

FM, I think she was blowing smoke up your hole. Those are both new Vulfix brushes with new style labels. It just happens that the engraved text on the CH2 has either faded or wasn't blackened properly but both have the newer style machine engraved text. The decal's have not really changed in style except that they are now more durable, they were never designed to be permanent as they also engraved Simpson on the handle but now the decal is a more permanent part of the livery. The Yanks do get into a tizz about that sort of thing.

Somerset Simpson's had a different style of text entirely.

attachment.php

Ant - no, I don't think there was any confusion. I had a good look at the brushes, and recognized them as Vulfix. It was just the gold labels that I queried (old style). As I say, the manageress confirmed (in her own special way!) that they were indeed the old transfer ones.

Course - she could have been having a joke at my expense, as you say!

Well now I'm confused. What's the difference between old and new style labels?

Other than natural wear and fade I have both in front of me and they look the same to me.

antdad said:
Well now I'm confused. What's the difference between old and new style labels?

Other than natural wear and fade I have both in front of me and they look the same to me.

On the Somerset Simpsons, the labels were very much like the decals you used to get on model kits, they came off almost immediately once they got anywhere near water. Indeed, some say Simpsons built in this feature as a guarantee of sterility - if the label hadn't come off, the brush hadn't been used. Some owners like/d to keep the labels on, so went to the extent of applying a coat of clear nail varnish to bond the decal to the brush.

On the Vulfix Simpsons, the labels are different, they are more of a peel and stick affair, and use a different kind of adhesive.

So I understand.

You're worse than the yanks, I can see there is a difference.

Are you going to tell me that the earlier labels are also more gold like than the current Vulfix labels? ;)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/Original_Simpson_Shaving_Brushes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog ... ushes.html</a><!-- m -->

No - so far as I know the gold colour is exactly the same. Anyways, I quote the lady exactly in my opening post. That's what she said.

Back
Top Bottom