DR Harris almond shaving soap scent

I've got some of the DRH almond oil bath soap and really like the scent (which isn't remotely almond). Does the almond shaving soap have the same scent? Or is it as I suspect almond scented. Probably a dumb question but I'm sure at least one of you will know the answer.

The Bath soap is Rose Geranium and the shaving soap is a 'wet soil' kind of scent - nothing like each other.

The shaving soap isn't remotely 'almond' scented - just contains almond oil.

I think you should go for it James, it does not have in any way that P.160 or Bottega Uomo or Acca Kappa real and strong almond scent.
It smells kind of 'cheesy' to me, but not almond-ish. I have it in stick, by the way.

yup there was no almond near it when I had a cake of it. It was almost burnt, earthy, bitter type. Quite odd.

Cheers gents. I'm not that big a fan of the smell of the Italian almond soaps that I've tried, so the fact it doesn't smell like those is a plus. I'll work through my stash a bit and then maybe pick up a stick later in the year.

Any shaving soaps that do smell like the DRH almond oil bath soap? Rose-geranium?

Yellow Jim said:
Cheers gents. I'm not that big a fan of the smell of the Italian almond soaps that I've tried, so the fact it doesn't smell like those is a plus. I'll work through my stash a bit and then maybe pick up a stick later in the year.

Any shaving soaps that do smell like the DRH almond oil bath soap? Rose-geranium?

Floris used to make one. Very well regarded by all accounts.

The closest I own to it is Czech and Speake #88 which is Rosey and Geranium...y (but without the clovey smell). I always use this shaving soap on weekends when I use the D R Harris bath soap.

But that is an expensive gamble if you don't like it.

joe mcclaine said:
Yellow Jim said:

Floris used to make one. Very well regarded by all accounts.

The closest I own to it is Czech and Speake #88 which is Rosey and Geranium...y (but without the clovey smell). I always use this shaving soap on weekends when I use the D R Harris bath soap.

But that is an expensive gamble if you don't like it.

Cheers Vinny. I've got a sample of the #88 cologne, how close does the soap scent match up?

Also, I've read that the soap base is the same as the Valobra stick. Anyone able to confirm this?

Yellow Jim said:
Cheers Vinny. I've got a sample of the #88 cologne, how close does the soap scent match up?

Also, I've read that the soap base is the same as the Valobra stick. Anyone able to confirm this?

Not the same but if you were given a ton of soaps to smell blind and were asked to pick the #88 I reckon most people could - it is 'in the same spirit' as the cologne. Some people who use the cologne haven't been able to get along with the soap though. Smells of roses, geranium, woods and spices. A bit like joss sticks . . . is all I can come up with.

Boab said:
yup there was no almond near it when I had a cake of it. It was almost burnt, earthy, bitter type. Quite odd.

I haven't smelled the DRH Almond but there are definitely two types almond, bitter and sweet so I'm guessing from your description that the DRH Almond and indeed Cella contain the former and a soap like P160 which has a strong marzipan scent contains the latter.

Back
Top Bottom