Dove Soap Convert!!

I was having lunch with a business acquaintance last week and we got onto the subject of shaving,,,yeh I probably through that subject into the conversation. When he asked what I used I told him 'mainly old gillette razors, badger and soap or cream', he retorted back - 'what do you want to f***about like that for', adding 'I just rub dove soap into my hands then onto my face and use a mach3' . He said he had shaved like this for years!
I know if I use ordinary soap on my fizzer it dries and irritates.
Dear Deidre - Should I pif him some gear and try and convert him, will I be wasting my time or will he be sooo pleased that he will put more work my way??

sensative
paul

No he'd think you are weird and withdraw all contracts! :mrgreen:

I had a look at the ingredients of Dove a while back and tallow was in there, I've used tesco's value soap to shave with and it was OK. My skin is oily so it doesn't get "dry" maybe he is the same.

canon said:
Dear Deidre - Should I pif him some gear and try and convert him, will I be wasting my time or will he be sooo pleased that he will put more work my way??

sensative
paul

Horses for courses. Perhaps he just views shaving the same way as most men do - a huge faff but has to be done and anything which is likely to drag it out is a gigantic waste of time and effort.

My guess is that the end result of your shave and his shave are identical.

Yeah I don't think it would be a good idea to give him anything to try unless he expresses an interest. He is probably very set in his ways, plus he didn't complain about the result of the shave so I'd just let him get on with it.

A couple of years ago I noticed a friend had the Wilkinsons blue bowl in his bathroom. For his birthday we sent him some Mama Bear soap. I didn't get any comments from him about it, whether he liked it or not. I was at a party at his place the other day and there on his shelf was more Wilkinsons. Either he wasn't bothered about the difference in scent or lather quality, or he's too tight to buy himself anything better, or his Dad shaved with it and he wants to, or he actually likes the stuff. Who knows?? All I know is there is no point buying him decent shaving soap again!!

I'm convinced that we are in a minority of people who notice small, subtle improvements and nuances in life and who are prepared to go to extra cost and/or difficulty to attain those improvements. You've only got to see the number of people that buy wrapped sliced white from a supermarket (what I call "cotton wool bread") versus those who buy proper, crusty loaves from a local baker.

If he is happy with the way he shaves then let him be. I know that I only looked in to more 'traditional' shaving methods 'cos I was definitely not happy with the results of my daily hack and slash with goo and cartridge razor. I'm the only one of my contemporaries that I know of that DE shaves and even my father-in-law who DE shaved in the past has looked at me weirdly once he heard about my new obsession!

Perhaps, allied to my previous theory about some of us appreciating greater quality and nuanced improvements in our daily lives, there is a persistent assumption that newer must automatically be better? I know I used to think that in terms of shaving.

Yeah, the lesson is don't bother unless asked. Even after I'd given a couple of friends vintage razor's as birthday presents and the occasional decent soap and blades they didn't give a monkeys. They could have just as easily scraped away with a blunt lady leg razor for three months and not noticed the difference.

I have no problem with that, they clearly didn't endure nearly 2 decades worth of nasties when trying to put putting blade to skin, what can you do, this interest seems to work best on-line and those that search will find.

antdad said:
Yeah, the lesson is don't bother unless asked. Even after I'd given a couple of friends vintage razor's as birthday presents and the occasional decent soap and blades they didn't give a monkeys. They could have just as easily scraped away with a blunt lady leg razor for three months and not noticed the difference.

I have no problem with that, they clearly didn't endure nearly 2 decades worth of nasties when trying to put putting blade to skin, what can you do, this interest seems to work best on-line and those that search will find.

Which is exactly what I did :D

Dear Deidre - Should I pif him some gear and try and convert him, will I be wasting my time

Thanks for your comments guys, do you know,,,I think you're all right, I wont bother piffing him anything, you just cant help some people and he is probably one of 'em.
My father in law gave me a similar comment just off the cuff awhile back - 'huhh my dad used one of them when I was a kid, you cant be messing about like that today, go to Morrisons and buy their disposables and a can of their foam, its alot less fuss'. Whilst giving me a look of total horror :eek: ,,,,, You can always spot my father in law first thing in a morning, hes the guy with tiny blood stained mis shapes of newspaper dotted all over his face,, somebody else who knows best :roll: .

thanks again guys, sound advice as always
Paul

Have to agree with the online search being the way many people get into it. I started out wanting to get a better shave than i was getting from mach 3s etc. I then thought i could save money and was laughing at all the 'chumps' that bought these overpriced blades. But then to be fair the stuff on offer to us in this world is all so lovely (i know its a girly phrase but thats exactly how i would describe it). I mean, rose scented creams, lavender etc etc.

Having trawled through and bought numerous items, i have luckily settled on what i like. There is still so much that tempts me, like for example alcohol based splashes instead of balms, but i just dont think my skin can take it.

So, like you all say, if you have no desire to get into this world, you wont want to.

Back
Top Bottom