Double Decker Coach RV

I have just relocated for a new job and had to rent locally to my new employer. The rental market is very restricted at present. I had to blind bid above the asking price and pay 12 months in advance. I probably won't be able to afford similar housing from Yorkshire as I have moved to Buckinghamshire. Anyway, I have a cunning plan - to convert a double decker coach into a two bed apartment...

Sell-Neoplan-Skyliner-Double-Decker.jpg

Wow OK. I imagined 200k+
So a bus and a coach are a bit different but probably immaterial if you're going to refit and have it as a mega camper van. I wonder what licence you need to drive it? I would think you only need PSV if you were carrying passengers. One of those has probably got more space than my gaff!

Decades ago I worked for an electronics company and they needed a mobile lab/test rig that could do 70mph to simulate a helicopter at cruising speed. They couldn't afford an old National Express coach apparently, so they bought a shonky old Routemaster, tuned the engine to breaking point, and then realised it would not fit under bridges. So they cut the roof off, and put a hydraulic skirt under it so the roof could be raised and lowered. They replaced the seats with airplane seats, put 19" racking in for the TE, and a kitchenette.

Shortly after that, it blew up spectacularly, throwing a con rod and nearly castrated the driver. It was a legend, we used to get bus experts coming to see it.

Last edited:
I think a coach like that costs more than an apartment though, even in Bucks, no? A pretty cool way of being of no fixed abode though.
They are not that expensive between seven and fourteen thousand. A double decker bus would be around four thousand pounds for a 90's model.

One master bedroom, walk in wardrobe, wet room with bath and shower. A kitchen with dining area and log fire and small sofa. Ideal for my retirement.

I actually like the idea of that. Especially if you can keep it roadworthy and actually go places. Mind you, where would you be able to stay? I bet caravan club sites would have a rule against it, ditto local councils. Anything out of the ordinary gets a sharp intake of breath from certain types.

Back
Top Bottom