Does anyone really buy this titanium thing?

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
LeJog 2022 Finisher
I see a few titanium razors doing the rounds and I will say I did have the pleasure of trialling the Tatara offerings. As much as I did enjoy the experience I did feel the stainless equivalents gave much the same or better in many ways.

One being the question of cost and secondly the weight. I am not one to shy away from the fact I do like a bit of heft behind a razor which gives me a greater sense of control.

I couldn't help but feel with the titanium razors it was a bit like shaving with an upmarket Bic disposable. Mind you I feel the same with aluminium, but then again aluminium costs a darn sight less so may be there is some cost vs material advantage/disadvantage in there.

I do understand the advantages of machining titanium, but not convinced with the reduction of weight in the perspective of shaving. I can see applications in the world where titanium has a distinct advantage, but in a razor? I am not sold. Even Zamac gives me more faith. After all a cheap R89 is a pretty well founded razor which delivers spectacularly at its price. I can't say the same for titanium from my experience.

Am I alone?

I agree with you entirely and I think Titanium is the new buzz word.
When I have used the ones I have tried I ask myself is the shave it gives worth the extra £100+ price tag over it's counter parts and I don't think it does tbh.
I will probably end up with the Tatara at some point but that will no doubt be the only Titanium razor I will ever own.

Titanium is known for its great strength and great lightness, but less well known is that the surface can scratch easily. It has become a buzz word recently, as noted by Johnny. Its also worth noting that there are many different grades of Titanium.

Consumer items made of Titanium usually require a lot of work in developing and applying anti-scratch coatings , if the product is to maintain its looks over time.

For a razor, the only advantage is the light weight, i would have thought. Personally, I would prefer a quality stainless steel razor with good engineering to reduce weight.

For me it’s a no no due to cost.
i can see why people would like them & i wouldn’t ever say i won’t get one but for me i have far to many razors i don’t use due to high aggression levels so i won’t buy another until iv tried it first.
I actually like light razors but i also like heft,
it’s all in the eye of the beholder.
The only really expensive razor i’m after is a Rocnel sailor but again i’m not paying over £1000 for it to sit in a drawer,
Anything expensive needs to be a daily shaver in my eyes.
But everyone to their own,
I guess we can have the same discussion on Stainless versus Brass,
Money is always relevant & although i can afford them i’m just to miserable

For me it’s a no no due to cost.
i can see why people would like them & i wouldn’t ever say i won’t get one but for me i have far to many razors i don’t use due to high aggression levels so i won’t buy another until iv tried it first.
I actually like light razors but i also like heft,
it’s all in the eye of the beholder.
The only really expensive razor i’m after is a Rocnel sailor but again i’m not paying over £1000 for it to sit in a drawer,
Anything expensive needs to be a daily shaver in my eyes.
But everyone to their own,
I guess we can have the same discussion on Stainless versus Brass,
Money is always relevant & although i can afford them i’m just to miserable

I like miserable

I see a few titanium razors doing the rounds and I will say I did have the pleasure of trialling the Tatara offerings. As much as I did enjoy the experience I did feel the stainless equivalents gave much the same or better in many ways.

One being the question of cost and secondly the weight. I am not one to shy away from the fact I do like a bit of heft behind a razor which gives me a greater sense of control.

I couldn't help but feel with the titanium razors it was a bit like shaving with an upmarket Bic disposable. Mind you I feel the same with aluminium, but then again aluminium costs a darn sight less so may be there is some cost vs material advantage/disadvantage in there.

I do understand the advantages of machining titanium, but not convinced with the reduction of weight in the perspective of shaving. I can see applications in the world where titanium has a distinct advantage, but in a razor? I am not sold. Even Zamac gives me more faith. After all a cheap R89 is a pretty well founded razor which delivers spectacularly at its price. I can't say the same for titanium from my experience.

Am I alone?

What I have to come to appreciate in this hobby, is there are a lot of avenues/options out there and it's all about trying to find what suits your needs the most. I've not tried any SS/titanium razors myself, so my observations regarding these are purely anecdotal.

I had a conversation with the right honorable Mr Monkey of Cornwall, and he said he was a huge fan of titanium razors as he finds SS razors to be a touch too heavy.

Personally, I was somewhat a little unenthusiastic about some really light razors until I bought a ball end Aluminium Tech, which has a brass top cap and the rest is aluminium. The mixture of metals seems to work beautifully!

I myself have little interest in a lot of modern razors, I'm sure they are great but I'd rather spend £150 on a fuzz pedal or two!

That I like. I have just bought a Twin-Stomp overdrive and magic prevails

What this bad boy?

Looks great!

One of my poison's are pickups from one man shops. The UK's in a golden era for pickup producers and it can be difficult to keep the credit card away... As I write that, there are a lot of great UK based pedal producers too...

A great time for innovation makes it a terrible time for restraint!

Am I alone?
No grasshopper, you are not alone. I have tried both Ti and aluminum razors and have found them (quoting "A Knights Tale") to be "wanting" .
No weight or gravitas, but a certain cachet that draws wet shavers in like flies to honey. I have tried them and sold them. My razors are all SS or brass and one is bronze. Beautiful with a proper weight behind them. These are serious razors for the guys who just don't care for "lightweights".
:LOL: And just to show you the correct amount of respect...I would never criticize anyone who prefers aluminum or Ti. It's your face, treat it the way you want. For me, it's a razor that has some distinct characteristics which include design, materiel and presence. My Lambda Athena ticks ALL boxes. I am Canadian and have had a few Henson razors...which I have always enjoyed their shaving characteristics except for the... weight. One of my favourite musical groups "The Band" had a great one called ...yes you guessed it. See what I did there?
Anyway...all the best to whatever works for you and to all who enjoy this very male tradition.
Cheers

I like light razors but would never part with the money they ask for these titanium razors.

What I do like is good quality plastics in a razor. For example my Wilkinson Sword Classic made from delrin mostly. Virtually indestructible, light and obviously resistant to corrosion. Basically all the qualities titanium offers at a fraction of the price.

Back
Top Bottom