Does Alum really work?

As the title says.

Do you use the block alone of follow up with a After Shave?

At the moment I just use After Shave lotion, wondering if I will benefit using Alum as well?

Thanks

I find I can just use alum, but alum followed by an alcohol based aftershave is better. I may not be typical as I have oily skin which never feels dry but thats what works for me.

Over time you will find what works best for you, by trial and error. One thing that alum does is that it gives me instant feedback on the shave, if I've gone OTT then it stings quit a lot and that would be an indicator that I should also use a balm or witch hazel. I find now though that because my technique is pretty good I rarely use anything more than an alcohol based splash.

Most notable is that if I forget the alum I generally notice a, very slight, bit of irritation for an hour or so after shaving which is why I try not to forget it.

But like everything YMMV

I'm really the opposite. I bought a block of alum to give it a try. I couldn't get on with it at all. It really irritated my skin, making it sore for the whole day. I now just rinse with cold water, pat dry-ish, and then moisturise with aqueous cream or Nivea ASB.

As with all these things, your method may vary, and it is just a case of trial and error.

Paul

In answer to the original question, I would say yes - depending on what you expect from it.

As Jeltz rightly says, Alum will tell you the truth as far as a shave is concerned, whether it was good or in places where you were a little too aggressive. I found it in this case to be very handy.

For me also there is no doubting it's first aid qualities on weepers.

How I use it personally (which is just the order I find works best for me), is shave, swill, apply alum (leave on while brushing teeth), cold rinse off, ASB, then AS.

I am not using it every day at the moment, but I do have a new one in the post, so it always be there or thereabouts.

Just try not to drop it :oops:

I've never really thought of what Mick writes about alum as a shave-o-meter but yeah it actually works like that! I tend to use it when I've had a lousy shave and have nicks and cuts. Don't use it when I am content of my work ;)

I tried it once, and it didn't work for me. Tried it again, and it didn't work for me.

Changed the WAY i used it, and now it does work for me.

After a cold rinse, I apply it, and leave it on my face while I rinse the block, dry it and then put it away. Once this is done, I rinse again to remove the alum, as by this time it has done it's job.

If I leave the alum on, and then apply a/s or a balm, it irritates me for the rest of the day.

I tend to only use it if I use a balm afterwards.

Ian

I suppose that it does.

But not to the extent that makes it worth using every day. For me it's an added layer of faff which I can do without. A cold water rinse followed by my A/S of choice is enough for me.

It is so cheap that there is no harm in buying a block to see how you get on. I keep my block around to close weepers and small nicks. In that respect it really does work.

Smell The Glove said:
A cold water rinse followed by my A/S of choice is enough for me.

It is so cheap that there is no harm in buying a block to see how you get on. I keep my block around to close weepers and small nicks. In that respect it really does work.

+ 1 totally.

Its a part of my daily routine,, I like the feeling on my face after a cold rinse.
It's a very effective deodorant as well.
regards, beejay

i stopped using it... found it just irritated my skin more than necessary. It didnt contribute anything useful to my shaving routine.

have now got my shave to a point where I experience so little irritation, that i am happy to use a generous splash of aftershave instead. I find this achieves everything that Alum does.

I have really sensitive skin, and before I used Alum block I got a little irritation if I had a bad shave. But now that I use an alum block when I have a bad shave it really calms down the skin and I don't get any irritation. So I really recommend alum as it really works for me. And like some people already has mentioned it gives you an hint about how well you did your shave since it stings on the spots where you have been to rough with the DE.

I used it religiously when I first started DE shaving, but haven't used it for months. However, having just started using a Gillette New (which is a beast), I had to dig it out to save my neck from certain death. :D

Again, once I have mastered the New (ie got the angle of attack and pressure needed, etc right), the alum will be packed away.

Always useful to have in the armoury.

Lipsy

Back
Top Bottom