Doctor Beaker's S.E's.

I thought I'd better post some Razor related stuff before it looks like I'm only here for the coffee forum ! I've been slightly put off, with not knowing how to start ? like Doctor Beakers Technique might be a sucking eggs exercise ? but I'm sure I'll work it out, meanwhile here's some of my Razors
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

cheers all Danny

Nice collection . The 1st one on the left, next to the British 1912(?) what make is it? And is that it's original handle?? Very interesting.

Johnus said:
Nice collection . The 1st one on the left, next to the British 1912(?) what make is it? And is that it's original handle?? Very interesting.

Hi it's a Kampfe Bros Star
star3.jpg

star1.jpg

star2.jpg

and takes a modern SE blade no problem I use the Gem stainless ptfe coated, from Connoughts.
star5.jpg

it's my keenest razor and the noisiest with a great sproining noise cutting the bristles I'll do a shave of the day post with it soon. As for the handle I'd like to think it's Ivory (did they have plastic or celluloid so long ago ?) I found a couple of old add's which suggest it's original
Star.jpg

Starbladeadd.jpg

apologies for being vague I'm still learning, cheers Danny

Doctor Beaker said:
I thought I'd better post some Razor related stuff before it looks like I'm only here for the coffee forum ! I've been slightly put off, with not knowing how to start ? like Doctor Beakers Technique might be a sucking eggs exercise ? but I'm sure I'll work it out, meanwhile here's some of my Razors
[cheers all Danny

Hi Danny,

Don't think I've typed at you before, so welcome here and thanks for the nice pics. Man, those are purty damn shiny...how the hell you do that?

So you have no way of knowing, but what's probably gonna happen is you're gonna bring out the SE loons. Yeah, there's a few in every forum....I expect Johnus to make an entrance soon. He's old though and is probably napping.

Yeah, there's seven SE razors there, and one lonely old adjustable off to the side. So I can maybe guess you actually like using those things. You know, everything I've read about a SE always mentions how great the shave is, and I don't doubt that's the case for them. Some are really beautiful and have some decent weight to em. I even have a few and get to hold em sometimes.....

Anyway, glad to see you posting here,

Martin

Yes, I have a few older ones. Nothing like the Star. That's one beautiful machine. Guess I'll have to use one tomorrow. ( most are too mild:)-) ).

Another S.E

Thanks for reply's and comments, as to how they're so shiny ? I don't buy them if they look like they were found at the bottom of a slurry pit, and when they land I give them a scrub with an old toothbrush dipped in vinegar then bicarbonate of soda 60 uses of baking soda linky I took to my first SE an ER 1912 with no problems I think if you can hear the mown bristle noise you've got the angle right, but just received this ( don't know model)
newER01.jpg

unwrapped blade is the Gem I used
newER02.jpg

newER03.jpg

newER04.jpg

newER05.jpg

newER06.jpg

and as usual had a shave with it before putting into rotation, my normal hot towel - lather - long down strokes to chin line (rinsing razor in between) then from chin down neck - re lather and long strokes upwards - towel face and apply oil to face, (home mix) then holding, face taught, short diagonal strokes to any stubble I can feel, well when I did feel the odd patch no matter how hard I pressed razor or at what angle to or away it would not cut any closer. I think this would be a perfect learners razor though no doubt some nube will cut his throat and I'll be sued !
cheers all Danny

You all talked me into... Pick out the Gold Gem Jr. Gem blade, MWF, the Turkish Horse, and Masters Bay Rum. Mild shave, enjoyable, good beginner setup.
Yes, I do enjoy the SE's too.

Doctor Beaker said:
just received this ( don't know model)
!
cheers all Danny

What's up Doc,

I believe what you have there is a 'shovel head' version. Did I already steer you to the SE forum....something like www.theoriginalsafety.com or somesuch. Them boys is a hard core SE group. Sigh, I think that link is wrong.

Just for the hell of it, here's a few pics of a hone that Gem made at one time. One side's stone and the other's horsehide.

Martin

Attachments

• Gem hone 005 (Small).jpg
    Gem hone 005 (Small).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 7
  • Gem hone 003 (Small).jpg
    Gem hone 003 (Small).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Gem hone 002 (Small).jpg
    Gem hone 002 (Small).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 7
Back