Do you spin?

You have steel bearings right?
I'd say it's near impossible to say how long they 'should' spin for as so much comes down to;
a) the weight (heavier steel/brass spinners spin for 30-40% longer than say titanium ones), and
b) precision/balance of the spinner design.

The brass spinner I have is handmade - so it doesn't have the CNC machined precision of say Torqbar and Rotablade. It wobbles a bit. It uses supposedly really good steel bearings and I get about a minute to a minute and a half of spin time out of it.
Torqbar/Rotablade both uses, I believe, ceramic bearings and that coupled with extreme balancing and precision in design pushes their spin time over six minutes (up to 10ish minutes or so). The spin time and 'smoothness' of the spin (and how well it balances w/out any wobble is mostly what you pay the additional $100 for.
If you can get a minute of spin time out of your handmade spinner using steel bearings I'd say you did really well! :)

In comparison: The FidgetCraft plastic spinner I have uses hybrid bearings but due to lower weight and it being printed with some roughness I get maybe 30-45 secs spin time out of it. Having said that I rather like it as it's very comfortable.

Cheers.

I'm getting 10 seconds ! LOL ! Bit of a fail. Still it's nice and tactile.

Yes, steel bearings. I'll try and clean them again and see what that does.

Does move free no easy though and smooth enough. Maybe it's a button in the centre I need ?

Last edited:
Cheers.

I'm getting 10 seconds ! LOL ! Bit of a fail. Still it's nice and tactile.

Yes, steel bearings. I'll try and clean them again and see what that does.

Does move free no easy though and smooth enough. Maybe it's a button in the centre I need ?

I actually doubt that the button in the middle would add anything as far as spin time goes. The FidgetCraft one I have spins way better without button and without the protective 'ring' ontop of the bearings. Having the bearings naked seems to give the best spin time with of course the downside that they'll get lint and stuff in them that needs to be cleaned out.

My two uneducated guesses would be;
a) the bearings themselves is not very good at free spinning (maybe they still have grease, etc on them), and/or
b) something in your design is pushing/squeezing them making them not lie 'level' inside the design.

Keep in mind that this is rather uneducated :)

This video shows a bit of the difference that FidgetCraft spinners have when using steel vs ceramic bearings;
(also note that when he spins the ceramic version he has removed the protective ring over the bearings the clever monkey) ;)

I actually doubt that the button in the middle would add anything as far as spin time goes. The FidgetCraft one I have spins way better without button and without the protective 'ring' ontop of the bearings. Having the bearings naked seems to give the best spin time with of course the downside that they'll get lint and stuff in them that needs to be cleaned out.

My two uneducated guesses would be;
a) the bearings themselves is not very good at free spinning (maybe they still have grease, etc on them), and/or
b) something in your design is pushing/squeezing them making them not lie 'level' inside the design.

Keep in mind that this is rather uneducated :)

This video shows a bit of the difference that FidgetCraft spinners have when using steel vs ceramic bearings;
(also note that when he spins the ceramic version he has removed the protective ring over the bearings the clever monkey) ;)
What he said above.

My son's FidgetCube arrived today, but there is a problem - Wrong colour sent. Ordered a white and blue, got a white and black. Seller emailed awaiting response.

Couple of interesting new videos;

1) Long-spinners vs Fidget Spinners
I thought this was interesting as I agree that even though you might want both aspects of it...you might be more drawn to one over the other.
I especially found his break-down of what the center off mass, etc means for the spinner(s).
(@Northam Saint this might also be interesting to you as it talks about bearing types, etc):

2) New Rotablade Stubby unboxing vid showing off the new packaging;

Knocked up another !

61ef5ff3a192aaf5cab4c2b85fd0803d.jpg

Zip ties !

Man I admire your creativity.
Any improvement on the 10 sec spin time?

Cheers.

Not much of a time improvement but it seems to run very smooth.

Just thinking if there is a way to improve and push the weight further out.

GOT IT !!!!

Shrink wrap ! The electrical type. Shrink it on and cut out where the middle of the centre bearing is.

Last edited:
Cheers.

Not much of a time improvement but it seems to run very smooth.

Just thinking if there is a way to improve and push the weight further out.

GOT IT !!!!

Shrink wrap ! The electrical type. Shrink it on and cut out where the middle of the centre bearing is.

Coming up next: Duct tape! You can do anything with duct tape!! :)

P.S: I see you paid attention to the center of mass topic in that video :)

Was sitting watching The Apprentice last night with my spinner and I was spinning for about an hour. When I put it down it felt weird because I wasn't spinning.

Woke up this morning and found it in my Pj's pocket must have put it there before going to bed.

Was sitting watching The Apprentice last night with my spinner and I was spinning for about an hour. When I put it down it felt weird because I wasn't spinning.

Woke up this morning and found it in my Pj's pocket must have put it there before going to bed.

Yeah that's normal. Not. :)

Btw, not spinner-related...but check out this guy's miniature axes/choppers.

Back
Top Bottom