Do you adjust your adjustable?

Dunno, I didn't like them but quite a few people do. However before you become too attached check supply's as it seems they are becoming difficult to source.

I remember up until a month ago (when I started reading the boards and realized how important correct technique and lathering are) I was using my Futur easily at 6 (i.e. full scale). One shave pass, of course, still clueless on why, how, etc. and plenty of irritation on the neck. Result was I came back again and again to the Gillette Fusion believing this was the razor that always gave the 'best of shaves'...

Right now the Futur goes at 2 1/2 or 3 tops, WTG and XTG passes, best shaves ever, still some neck irritation and the Mach 3s and co. stowed away for good. :cool:

DEbest said:
But is the stretching of skin important - I think it is something I am not that conscious of.

I try and avoid any stretching (although it's difficult) and shave with my skin without any tension if I can help it.

In one of Mantic's vids he also suggests that shaving stretched skin can lead to ingrowns and irritation because the head of the hair can become trapped when the skin is then returned to it's natural state.

antdad said:
DEbest said:
But is the stretching of skin important - I think it is something I am not that conscious of.

I try and avoid any stretching (although it's difficult) and shave with my skin without any tension if I can help it.

In one of Mantic's vids he also suggests that shaving stretched skin can lead to ingrowns and irritation because the head of the hair can become trapped when the skin is then returned to it's natural state.

Yes, there seems to be different views on stretching - Gentleman's Shop guy (sorry, forgot his name) in his video he recommends stretching. Who to believe?!

Indeed, Robert from TGS does deliberately stretch his skin on his video.

I must admit there are plenty of elements of that shave that I wouldn't do myself, there seems to be some crossover from the straight shaving/barbering world and that includes stretching. That's understandable, it's easier to shave someone else's skin with a straight razor that is flat and straight, if you're shaving yourself with multiple passes eventually you should develop enough "feel" to be able to do it without too much contortion.

Yes that shave does seems to be influenced by the straight-type shave. He favours longers strokes, for one, and that is enabled by the stretching to get a good run at it, so to speak. I like that he doesn't go against the grain and that is was has caused me to return to his video and look at it more closely.

Back
Top Bottom