Do i need a Gillette?

Hi Guys, bit of a problem at the moment and i guess you have had the same. I am currently using a D89l and Merkur 33c and keeping reading your posts on gillette razors, particularly the slim and super adjustable or maybe even a flare tip! As always i have been pipped at the post when bidding on ebay and lost out many times over the past week. Is it really worth going down the adjustable route or should i just stay with what i already have. The majority of sellers are in the States and have some ridiculous buy it now prices. What should be the max i would pay for a decent usable razor?
Thanks guys..

Yes, you need a nice all metal Gillette slim adjustable. Year would be right around 1966. you won't regret it.
If you must, try one of the ones that's being passed around.
Work the numbers the way you'd drive a car. Don't just leave it in one gear. Drive it. Shift with each pass!

SpeedyBabylon5 said:
Hi Guys, bit of a problem at the moment and i guess you have had the same. I am currently using a D89l and Merkur 33c and keeping reading your posts on gillette razors, particularly the slim and super adjustable or maybe even a flare tip! As always i have been pipped at the post when bidding on ebay and lost out many times over the past week. Is it really worth going down the adjustable route or should i just stay with what i already have. The majority of sellers are in the States and have some ridiculous buy it now prices. What should be the max i would pay for a decent usable razor?
Thanks guys..

Contact either Frenchblade or Sunburyboy93 through pm, they are both good sources of fairly priced DE razors. It's worth trying one, if you don't like what you get, you can easily sell it again on the BST section.

Having tried numerous different razors I keep gravitating back to the Gillettes.
Even the iKon is a gillette clone.
My next one will probably be a New, Im tempted to try one given the reviews I keep reading, though myself I prefer "tech" heads rather than open combs - buy as they say in the states YMMV.

Just loaded up the fatboy I got of Dodgy this morning with a Bleu Extra and dialed it up to 7 - nice close shave with no irritation at all.

Merkurs and Jaggers work better for me than old Gillettes. The Gillettes are nice, but the new stuff works better for me.

Also, if I damage or lose a modern safety razor, I can just order another instead of embarking on a major search to find the right vintage razor.

Ian

I agree that merkurs are the best bet personally. I found old gillettes lovely but prefer the modern razors. But if you can get one for a good price, why not!

Found some clean looking slims on ebay for around £30, is that a good price? They are all in the USA though so i guess delivery would take a while. Giving up on the ebay bidding, seems the same people are outbidding on all the ones i have tried for.

Don't forget the import duty and Royal Mail handling fee! I always try to find one within the EU.

If you post in the Buy/Sell/Trade section here and wait a while you should turn one up. Alternatively PM Sunburyboy or FrenchBlade - they seem to have half the world's supply of vintage razors ;-0

+1 on contacting Max (french B) or Steve (The Sunster). That way you'll know exactly what you're getting & you'll pay a better than fair price. (It's not misnamed Evilbay for nowt).

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom