Do bulb shaped badger brushes "spread out" with time

Hi folks,

I just took delivery of a beautiful 26mm bulb Manchurian brush from Oumo. It looks a lot more "pointed" and narrow at the top than the other 26mm bulb shaped brushes I own.
That said, ALL my badger brushes are preowned, and have already seen some usage from their previous owners.

See image:

IMG_4041.jpg

Do these brushes tend to "splay out" at the top with usage? Or is that pointed shape how this brush shall stay?
With its current shape, it'll be a little like painting on shaving lather with an artist's brush.

Ed

All my bulb-shaped knots have loosened up, but none has actually splayed. They’ve all retained their bulb-shape after several years of use. I don’t bowl lather so when I lather on my face I exert a fair amount of pressure on the knot as I make a combination of circular strokes and painting strokes, but I don’t mash the knot. The knot in your picture exhibits the classic lightbulb shape, which I expect it will retain with use, but may not remain as tight as it looks.

It will 'bloom' when it meets water which will reduce the pointiness somewhat. The nature of a bulb shapes knot means that it won't open up as much as a fan shape.

i do have both, the Oumo fan brush and a Oumo Bulb version and indeed the Bulb should open up a bit more then your picture shows but not as much as the fan does. the bulb as result has more backbone and gives a nice bit stiffer scrub then the fan, but like both.

also the face feel of the fan brush is significantly bigger to me. so i would guess my fan knot 26 mm as bigger then 26 compared to the same 26 mm bulb knot

Last edited:
In my experience hair type and density are a factor. The shape, over time and use, of a dense Manchurian will slacken far less than best or silvertip knots. Over about ten years of use my Chubby 2 best is virtually unrecognisable from the way it arrived in its red box from Simpson. - I

Back
Top Bottom