Do Boar Brushes ‘wear out’?

I was reading a post on another forum (forgive me Father, I have sinned) about Boar brushes wearing out after a few months, is this true? My Omega took a month or so to break in ….

Thanks

Seems unlikely that it could 'wear out' in a few months given that they take a month of use to break in. I am expecting years of service from my Semogue 820. I dare say it'll wear out eventually.

My guess (not having read the posts on the other forum you mention) is that the poster most likely abused the brush with excessive chemical or mechanical "accelerated breaking in" and has knackered it. People seem to be inclined to do this to boars because they don't want to use it for the first month while it breaks in. Gotta say my 820 was ok from first use and is now much better.

Absolutely not, they'll give years of service. It is true that all brushes wear out with use, but it will be years. When fellows had just the one brush and used it every day, and only that brush, it still lasted years.

I agree with @hotmetal that it sounds like this person took breaking it in literally and "broke" it in. You break a brush in by using it, not abusing it.

Of my Omega and Zenith boar brushes, a couple of which I've been using between 5 and 10 years, I've managed to get only one Zenith to my desired state of split-ended fluffiness. I've inherited others, which have been used for decades, without problems. All in all, Hogsnort Rupert and his Famous Porkestra have never played me false.

I've found that any natural fibre brush will, eventually, wear down and become shorter, after many years of heavy use, but I've not had any immediate "failures" of mine. Then again, I follow the principle laid out by @hotmetal and @pjgh and break them in (eventually), by normal use. The only pre-use treatment that I've seen advised, is a light shampooing or two, to eliminate any odours. However, that's usually not necessary with any of the modern boars, which do not come pre-stunk, and the only thing in relation to this that I think might wreck a brush, is boiling it.

Back
Top Bottom