Disposable Blades

Hi

I'm just curious, I know a lot of you enjoy the preparation and looking after the blade etc, but would buying disposable blades be a bad choice for someone wanting to give straight shaving a go?

There's a razor on amazon linked Here

As I'm still learning I thought taking a small step and getting the technique right to see if I like it would be a better option than to buy the whole package.

Would this be a wise choice?

or something like This

a Shavette is nothing more than a long blade that you throw away..might as well stick DE razors n blades til you find the right "combo"..razor+smooth blades you find dont give you near any irritation and can last more than 3 shaves or so...
regarding a straight razor..dont skimp on price bud!...there are MANY "fakes" out there try <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.straightrazorplace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.straightrazorplace.com</a><!-- w --> There are MANY pro's there and everything is str8 razor related if thats something you want to get into trying...buying a cheap straight razor..anything less than $60USD in my opinion would be less than minimal..keep in mind..a razor+strops( $60USD at least..3 of em..1leather/1 linen/1 more strop for green or colored Diamond paste or Chromium Oxyde Paste for keeping the edge til you need to send your razor out to be re honed or sharpened..also if you want to get into honing/sharpening the razor yourself its on average another $115 USD....it takes on average 1 year to really "train" your hands well//where you can shave in as little time as it takes to use a Mach3 razor for example...PM me if you have any more questions

Good Luck!
Blades

If you have a search through the threads on this board, there are quite a few threads which touch on the disposable bladed Shavettes. The gist, however, is that they are harsh and unforgiving, and offer the worst of both worlds.

Blades is spot on about cheap straight razors, they are likely to be a false economy. As you link to the UK Amazon site I assume you're from this side of the pond, in which case you should be thinking in terms of £50-60 for an entry level shave ready razor, maybe a little less for a well worn vintage one of undistinguished pedigree. Add a strop and you're looking at committing £100 to get you started, give or take, but that investment will last a very long time.

May I suggest that you have a good look at Neil Miller's stickies which should answer a lot of questions, and also that you put a brief introduction on the Welcome board so that we can get to know you.

I find that after a lot of searching through razors on various sites, hardly any (if at all) are labeled as 'shave ready'. So I guess classifieds or ebay would be a better option as i will have direct communication with the seller.

psychopigeon said:
I find that after a lot of searching through razors on various sites, hardly any (if at all) are labeled as 'shave ready'. So I guess classifieds or ebay would be a better option as i will have direct communication with the seller.
If you want something shave ready in the UK, there are 2 main companies that'll supply straights shave ready. (that I know of)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->

I've dealt with Neil from the strop-shop, and he's a great guy, and has done some lovely work on some of my stuff.
No personal experience with The Invisible Edge, but they are well regarded.

I would avoid buying anything off e-bay for the moment, you might get something good, but you might also get something worthless.
(since you don't know yet what to look for)

You can send Neil a mail, or PM, he should be able to set you up with kit.

Max

p.s. the "disposable straights, i.e. shavettes are supposed to be harder to master, but since I've not tried one, I can't give you my opinion.
P.P.S. Please do a pot in the "welcome forum"

i sent my straight to the invisible edge for honing and it can back blunter than i sent it :evil:

i then sent it to Neil Miller who sorted it for me :cool:

but due to my cack-handedness i dulled it again very soon afterwards with some mong stropping :roll: :lol:

basically i'd recommend Mr Miller is what i'm saying

i know how you feel about trying a shavette first, no maintenance, stropping, honing etc
it's a cheap way to see if you'd like a proper straight
well from what i hear it's not like a real straight in performance or use
great if you like it though

i'd also echo what FrenchBlade & Arrowhead say

i have a few straights and a few shavette for the days i cant be bothered stropping i go to them there are i bit more tricky to master but u do get good shaves of them once u master the angles i get better shaves of some of my shavette than i do my straights i think every one has there on preferences wen it comes to the shavette give it a try see wat u think

Hi psychopigeon

If you want to try a straight razor, buy a straight razor. I think by opting for a shavette, you run the risk of not liking it by the answers given above, and that could put you off for life, and you haven't even tried a straight razor.

IMHO the best bet is to buy a straight razor. If you don't like it, you can always say you gave it a go.

All the best in the straight razor game

Back
Top Bottom