Dinner for One - a big hit in Germany

Amazing! How come I didn't know about this thing? And now that I do know about it, I still don't get it. To me, it's not even that funny. Maybe it's my sense of humour. Maybe it's the German sense of humour. Dunno!

Wait. Germans have a sense of humour? Really? Quick, look out the window - I swear I saw a pig flying by!

I’d rather LISTEN to paint dry than watch yon drivel. Back to the gairden for me. TTFN.

I am advised that this bizarre little film is ritually watched all over Germany at New Year, every year. It is apparently aired on all major channels. I don't get it. Perhaps a German member could shed some light on the matter...?

Can’t beat a bit of Freddie Frinton! I’m not German, but have watched this every New Year’s Eve for years. It’s one of those that gets funnier the more times you watch it. Probably helps if you’ve had a couple of drinks as well. Why it’s so popular in German I’m not so sure, though Mr Bean is very popular in Brazil and Benny Hill in France. I can remember watching the film Napoleon Dynamite with a Brazilian friend, who found it absolutely hilarious. I’d never found it funny before, but their reaction to it, and how funny they found it, makes me laugh whenever I watch it, and whenever I’ve watched it with a fellow English person they can’t understand why it’s funny. And I’m not sure either. Humour is weird sometimes.

Can’t beat a bit of Freddie Frinton! I’m not German, but have watched this every New Year’s Eve for years. It’s one of those that gets funnier the more times you watch it. Probably helps if you’ve had a couple of drinks as well. Why it’s so popular in German I’m not so sure, though Mr Bean is very popular in Brazil and Benny Hill in France. I can remember watching the film Napoleon Dynamite with a Brazilian friend, who found it absolutely hilarious. I’d never found it funny before, but their reaction to it, and how funny they found it, makes me laugh whenever I watch it, and whenever I’ve watched it with a fellow English person they can’t understand why it’s funny. And I’m not sure either. Humour is weird sometimes.
"Mr Bean is very popular in Brazil and Benny Hill in France."

And Norman Wisdom in Albania, I understand.

I used to live there but I never knew this was a thing. Tbf I have never seen it here either. I suppose a bit of gentle slapstick is good for Christmas.

Oddly, Monty Python is probably more popular in Germany than here, despite their sketch about German jokes.
Actually a lot of Germans have a very similar sense of humour to us (at least, most of the ones I know, and I can only speak for my own humour but I have quite a lot of friends over there for sample size). The stereotype that they don't is partly down to dehumanisation propaganda during the war. It's easier to kill people if you think they never laugh, or so the powers that be thought at the time.

My ex was Spanish and she just thought Monty Python was stupid. Then again she thought 'Friends' was funny.

Don't mention the war. I did once but I think I got away with it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom