Different technique for different razors?

I usually shave with a Merkur Futur and I get good consistent results with it. I recently got a Merkur 39c which I've been using for about a week and a half. I was getting on okay with the 39c but was getting some irritation and the odd weeper.

When shaving with the Futur I hold it quite near to the head and I'd been holding the 39c in the same way. This morning I changed it a bit and held it right near the bottom, almost on the blade release knob. This resulted in a fantastic shave, especially on my neck, where I'd been having some issues. I guess this new grip means that it's very difficult to apply any pressure.

So that's what I've found, a different grip for different razors. I'd be interested to hear if you guys do similar when you change razors.

In general, I've learned to cradle each razor fairly similarly in terms of a very light, loose grip. I did try holding my Merkur 34c right at the end, but found that lost fine control over the placement of the head. That said, I do adjust the distance between my fingers between shorter and longer-handled razors.

The grip tends to vary with me from razor to razor....for example my very light Alu Tech and a lightweight travel razor is held just under the head whilst shaving....but my Merkurs' 38c and Futur are held further down the stem.....maybe something to do with the weight of razor to achieve a consistent pressure.....I can't say as I've analysed it too much....its just something I do automatically...

Absolutely. That 39C is absolutely critical to get right, as you've now found it needs to be held down at the bottom otherwise the temptation is to apply pressure. You can't hold a tech the way you would with a sledgehammer.

For these reasons I rarely change razor, it can take a good few days to get used to a new one.

I have a similar thing with my Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley razor, and Merkur 25C open comb. Both these razors are completely different.

The Chatsworth is heavy (110g), with a long solid handle and closed comb. Put a Feather blade in it and ouch!! Yet other blades work really well with it.

The Merkur 25C is lighter, around 65g, again with a long but hollow handle, and open comb. Put a Feather in and I get a very mild shave for a very sharp blade. So I tend to use Feathers only with the Merkur 25C.

I hold both razors the same way: little finger under the botton of the handle, ring, middle and forefinger on one side, and thumb on the other.

But I have to get the angle just right with the Chatsworth otherwise it tugs. If I get the angle wrong with the Merkur, nothing happens apart from minor tugging. So although it needs the right angle to shave with, the Merkur is more forgiving and I find it very easy and pleasant to use.

This is pretty much the reason I got rid of my Merkur Futur.

I mean, yeah it's a nice heavy razor and a good shaver but moving between it and any other razor takes ages.

I like my shaves with my 34C and it looks like they will be staying that way for the forseeable future.

Here I'm known as the "Razor Whisperer" . If you have a unruly razor that just has a mind of it's own... I'm available to teach it " proper technique" . You no longer have to feel that "you are the one in the wrong".
Of course, I'll have to do this in it's home country and minimum stay would have to be seven days. So for the price of 1st class air travel, 5* lodging and meals; You will have my service for a full hour a day to train your razor in your desired technique.

Forgot to mention, my method also works with Coffee Machines! Same rates. Yes, discounts for double contracts.

MachM said:
So that's what I've found, a different grip for different razors. I'd be interested to hear if you guys do similar when you change razors.

Hi there,

I guess the grip can be part of various technique tweaks when using different razors, but it's just a small part of the overall picture. Yeah, there's lots of adjustments to be made and it takes a while to figure things out.

For a mild razor (or a razor set to a mild number) I just horse the thing around and I can get away with long strokes with no problem. I can bear down in spots with impunity. No need to pay much attention to detail at all....sorta automatic by now.

More aggressive razors take a lighter touch, with no long strokes. Very light or even no pressure is needed with those, which for me makes dealing with a few rough spots kinda tough. Yeah, I can't bear down as I'd like to (I'm ascairt!), so those spots usually aren't quite as closely shaved as they could be. I gotta pay more attention to what I'm doing with a razor that bites easily, which is ok sometimes.

Then you got the various angles of attack that certain razor heads have. For example, it's not gonna be the same on a fatboy as with something with a much flatter head. You also can't forget about the razor weight and balance, both of which you gotta compensate for. Sometimes when I get an unusual razor outta the arsenal that hasn't been used in a few months, it can sometimes take me a couple minutes to relearn the proper method.

i'm sure there's other technique stuff I'm forgetting, but you kinda get the idea. Matter of fact, the blade used can even cause a tweak if it's extremely sharp.

Martin

I like the rounder head of the Fatboy. Allows a close shave (on the right setting) without too much bite, I feel. I can't deny the effectiveness of my Merkur 38R, but the head, length and sheer weight of the razor means I tend to use it when I have a few days' stubble (which is rare as I try to shave seven days a week). Sometimes I find the balance difficult to get with it because I don't put in the practice I should.

I have never heard the term "ascairt" before and had to look it up; scared when you shouldn't be. Knew it was worth getting up today!

Back
Top Bottom