Difference between Merkur 23C and 33c...?

Hello,

My first DE razor was a brand new Merkur, but due to my own uselessness at the time, and buying from a shop which was none too clued up, I did not know what I had bought at the time (I knew it wasn't an HD, which is what I was after, but it looked pretty similar so I wan't too bothered).

I now know enough that it is either a Merkur 23c or a 33c, but am stumped as to how to tell the difference without having the other one next to it for comparison. Is there an easy way of identifying which it might be?

Also, which is the more aggressive? I'm thinking of buying a custom heavy handle (two-tone brass/chrome Bull Mastiff Deluxe, since you're wondering) for mine from Bob's Razor works, but if it's the milder of the two, there may be no point.

Any pointers would be very welcome - I need to feed my RAD!

I had a 33C for my first razor. It gave me some great shaves but then stupidly i sold it. I think i'll buy one in the next few months.

The difference between the 2 razors is the handle length. 33C is shorter.

They should be the same aggressiveness due to the same head design but arguably the 23C may have a little more due to the additional weight. When i got a loan of a 23C, i couldnt really notice the difference. I just didn't like the long handle.

Hope that helps!

Dipesh said:
I had a 33C for my first razor. It gave me some great shaves but then stupidly i sold it. I think i'll buy one in the next few months.

The difference between the 2 razors is the handle length. 33C is shorter.

They should be the same aggressiveness due to the same head design but arguably the 23C may have a little more due to the additional weight. When i got a loan of a 23C, i couldnt really notice the difference. I just didn't like the long handle.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. That ties in with what I just got from shaver Merkur25 over at B&B:

"The 33c is 3.25in long & 1.75oz and the 23c is 4in long & 2oz. They are the exact same razor as for aggressiveness "

Guess I need to find a ruler, then.

Yup. It's a 23c. Just measured it. Am ordering a delectable two-tone handle from Bob's Custom Razors, similar shape to a 34 HD handle, but nicer knurling and a bit heavier. Mmmmm...

Tim B said:
Have a look at the Connaught Shaving website, as they stock Merkur's and you should be able to identify the razor.

Thank you, that's actually the best place I've seen to spot it. Short of measuring the razor (which is what I eventually did), the only way of telling the difference appears to be the ratio of smooth to knurled to smooth on the handle, being about 1:4:1 on the 33c (excluding the knob and the bit at the top of the handle) and 1:6:1 on the 23c.

I have a 23c. Case closed.

Back
Top Bottom