Derbys - really so bad?

I've been buying them from Amazon.com and they're shipped from a vendor in Turkey. I haven't had any problems with them. Do you think that different vendors sell different grades and not advertise what they are doing?
Interesting to see what the factory says they actually sell?

I tend to think that if I buy a pack of 5 blades then all blades should be usable, regardless of the price. Alas, from the two packs of Derbys that came with a sample pack only 6 were any good and even then they were only good for a shave and a half.
If I was ever looking for a budget blade, Derby definitely wouldn't be on the list.

After testing these blades in several Gillettes (Adjustables, SSs, Techs, ..) in a Merkur 38C and in an EJ DE89 I must say these blades are crap. IMHO. They haven't performed for me even as acceptable.
Talking exclusively about the first/second shave, I've always had the feeling I'm shaving with a 10x used Astra blade... utterly dull, feeling of discomfort, urge to push the razor on my face and irritation and bloodspots on my face afterwards.
Totally took the good feeling of shaving from me. I've had 2 5packs as samples/gifts, have used them all up and there's no power on earth to convince me to buy anymore.
So now Derby joined the dark side hand-in-hand with Jewels, Astras & Co.

I usually use Derbys but after reading the different experiences on this site I've decked to try other blades . This week I received a shipment of 'Gillette super thins platinum from Vietnam.' I used it 1st yesterday and it wasn't bad. I tried the 'yesterday's blade in a different razor this morning and almost nothing! Thinking it was the razor I switched to another razor- nothing!! I had to finish with a different makers blade.
This is the 1st time that I experienced this drastic failure of a blade after only one use.
Have any of you had experiences with this brand??
Johnus

cromulent said:
I tend to think that if I buy a pack of 5 blades then all blades should be usable, regardless of the price. Alas, from the two packs of Derbys that came with a sample pack only 6 were any good and even then they were only good for a shave and a half.
If I was ever looking for a budget blade, Derby definitely wouldn't be on the list.

I've just finished my second pack of 5 Derbys, and as said above, the consistency of quality, even within a sealed pack, leaves a lot to be desired.

I certainly won't be wasting any more cash on them.

tritrek said:
After testing these blades in several Gillettes (Adjustables, SSs, Techs, ..) in a Merkur 38C and in an EJ DE89 I must say these blades are crap. IMHO. They haven't performed for me even as acceptable.
Talking exclusively about the first/second shave, I've always had the feeling I'm shaving with a 10x used Astra blade... utterly dull, feeling of discomfort, urge to push the razor on my face and irritation and bloodspots on my face afterwards.
Totally took the good feeling of shaving from me. I've had 2 5packs as samples/gifts, have used them all up and there's no power on earth to convince me to buy anymore.
So now Derby joined the dark side hand-in-hand with Jewels, Astras & Co.
I thought everyone liked Astras!

Back
Top Bottom