Derbys and a Merkur HD?

A while ago i bought some derbys and i seem to get some inconsistent shaves with them,Being a tight fisted so and so i generally use my blades for 7 days every morning and i find that even in the same pack the blades can differentiate in smoothness,my technique involves shaving in every which direction until i have a smooth shave,
which seems to work on the whole for me,so the feathers would probably not be a good idea, :D
I used to use wilkinson swords blades available in retail shops then when these dried up locally tried the personnas found in morrisons,sadly these seemed to run out of steam around day 5,

that,s why i tried the derbys,Badger and blade gave them a good review sadly after trying them i found the other posts about the new version,

I was just wondering what the members here thought of red personnas for smoothness and consistency with the merkur HD
Or possibly any other suggestions

Brave man using a Derby for a week... 3 days is the norm for me with them, 4 at a push.

Well worth working through a sample pack if you've only tried one blade - I know when I did it I turned up a couple of blades favourable for me (basically I've gone on from there and tried every blade that's passed by my eyes with two exceptions Wilkinson Economie (current Wilkinson full price made in Germany don't inspire me, so I doubt the cheapos will) & Bolzano Inossidable (seen mixed reviews and at £4 for 10 I can't see them being sufficiently good to warrant the price))

I'm not the best person to comment on the pros and cons of different blades, but I would suggest there aren't any blades that stay adequately sharp after day five. Most of us use a blade for 3-4 days from what I can tell.

It's probably worth buying a sample pack of blades and working through them steadily. Once you find a blade you like you can then order in bulk thus keeping the cost down. There should be no shame in wanting to keep shaving as a frugal hobby. Most regular posters enjoy trying out different products which include the higher end stuff, but an amazing shave can be achieved on a shoestring. Palmolive is great stuff, and a reliable razor like the HD should last you years, as can a decent brush. You may though find some ideas here of things to treat yourself with, or perhaps birthday/xmas/fathers day presents you can ask your family for. Let us know how you get on. :D

I like the personnas, smooth shavers. For stuff available locally I like the Gillette platinums, I get them in a pack of 5 for about £1.50 at the Chemist and they work a treat.

Pig Cat said:
I'm not the best person to comment on the pros and cons of different blades, but I would suggest there aren't any blades that stay adequately sharp after day five. Most of us use a blade for 3-4 days from what I can tell.

I'm currently trying whether the Allegro model L stropping machine for DE blades (from ca 1930/1940) can extend that...

Believe or not i am normally able to get 7 days from a shave,think it might be that i have a fine beard,but i notice real inconsistencies in the derbys,Last week i managed to get a consistent shave through the week,this week two days in i find that the blades dragging,
Think i might have to try a blade sample pack but my worry is that the derbys toook a while to show an off blade but i can end up with a couple one after the other,

Rhys

Back
Top Bottom