Derby Extra Blades - Numbers

Hi all,

First post so please be kind!

I have recently purchased some Derby Extra blades, the blades have numbers 1-4 (2 numbers on each face) on the blade, do these mean anything?

Thank you in advance :D

The majority opinion is in favour of them being some sort of manufacturing mark - if you imagine the blades being made there would be 4 edges to be honed/ground/sharpened - if they print on which edge is which they can ensure (in theory) that when one of the hones/grindstones/sharpeners starts to wear out that they can replace the right one first time...

There's quite a lot of blades that have the same numbering system... off the top of my head, it seems to include anything made in Petersburg Products (so Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and green, Astra, Nacet, Tiger amongst others) and all Treet (Pakistan) blades. As Hunnymonster says, it's believed to be a quality control measure, helping to adjust honing machines if there's a problem.

I've recently purchased the Derby blades as I thought they'd be better than the persona blades you can get at supermarkets, I'm not too sure they are better though! I'm quite new to the de shaving, using a classic Wilkinson sword razor.

I think I may end up experimenting with other blades though as the derby ones aren't serving me too well!!

lcfc3_uk said:
I've recently purchased the Derby blades as I thought they'd be better than the persona blades you can get at supermarkets, I'm not too sure they are better though! I'm quite new to the de shaving, using a classic Wilkinson sword razor.

I think I may end up experimenting with other blades though as the derby ones aren't serving me too well!!

Rush quickly to the BST forum and get your name down on the pif thread that is the top sticky there. Then, in a little while, you will receive a package with a bundle of different blades. Try a few, add a few. Whatever. The only cost is the postage to send the package on to the next name.

Have fun!

If you like I will PIF you some (send you some for free). If so send me a PM with your address. It has been fun discovering my favourites and hopefully will be for you too!

I have about 180 Derby's and each time i use one i'm getting to dislike them more and more. There seems to be more duff blades than good ones. No BBS at all!

Think i will be PIF'ing or selling them on the bay very soon.

At the meantime i shall be sticking to my Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow's.

Welcome to the forum :p :0)

Cant comment on the blade numbers as i'm a month in myself, BUT I was PIF'd a lovley vintage gold coloured gillette tech ballend razor kindly by another member on here, I have since aquired a number of different vintage and new razors and following in Blades wishes will gladly pif this to yourself if you would like to try a vintage razor in addition to the w/sword you currently have - Nothing wrong with it I just have 2 ball ends now one is silver the other gold.

just send me a PM if your interested :D

Twinnumber2 said:
I have about 180 Derby's and each time i use one i'm getting to dislike them more and more. There seems to be more duff blades than good ones. No BBS at all!

Think i will be PIF'ing or selling them on the bay very soon.

At the meantime i shall be sticking to my Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow's.

Perhaps we should create a derby pif? We send a pack around and each of us put our derby's into it and send it on to the next person!

Back
Top Bottom