Derby blades, are they as bad as all that?

I know that these don't get a lotta love on this forum but it occurs to me that it might be because a lot of people start off with this blade.

Certainly it was my 1st blade and I've now decided to have another go with it as I'm finding that much of my early equipment is better than I gave it credit for now that my technique is much improved.

I'll let you all know how I get on but bear in mind I'm the other chap on the forum that likes Merkur blades :mrgreen:

They work very well for me in Open Comb razors. My 15c but particularly in my Muhle R41 OC; a tip I picked up from Boab and that combi has never let me down.

Always remember, horses for courses. Use what you like; take plenty recommendations, tips and advice and then decide what suits you.

Indeed, I like Merkur blades, no-one else does but they suit me...and I've got loads of them.

QED.

They used to be the default starter blade...admitted I never did like them but whether it be true or hearsay that QC has suffered they have now been usurped by other brands. Red pack IP's and Thins for example. They still might work for you though.

Like antdad, I started with Derby blades as they seemed like a good "middle of the road" blade. I thought they were good until I tried others and was enlightened.

Ian

I like them. I have quite a few and am happy to continue using them. Can't be bothered to try too many other brands though I have been using Bic recently and they're good too. I use them with an EJ DE89L.

I started with these, so my thoughts are probably clouded by the fact that my technique will certainly have been dodgy. At some point i will get round to giving them another try as i have maybe 10/15 sat in my stash and see if i can get by with them better now.

I have yet to try the Merkur blades too (though i have a few awaiting me).

Well I tried them this morning in my 15c and got a good shave but a wee bit of irritation, it may have been that I was rushing a bit so the jury is still out but they didn't seem as sharp as most.

So yeah maybe they are as bad as all that :lol:

Like many on here, they were the first blade I used.

At the time, I thought they were fantastic. They were so much better than any blade I had ever used before (i.e. Mach 3, Fusion etc). But then I tried a Gillette Super Thin. I then realised that Derby's are rubbish blades.

However, I still like them. I like them because they were the first DE blade that I used. They were safe and quite mild, which allowed me to ease into DE shaving and improve my technique without too much fear. If I had dived straight in with a Gillette Super Thin or a Feather (both much better quality blades), then I may have cut my face to ribbons every day for a week, then given up and got the Fusion out again.

So they are rubbish blades, and I would not use one again. But I like them because they allowed me to get into DE shaving in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom