Defeated by williams

Hi guys,tonight I decided to try my williams shaving soap,fitted to the top of my scuttle,to keep it shot,I filled up my scuttle with warm water and let my brush soak there too,I began spinning my brush on the soap for about 20senconds and then applied to the face,added few drops of water to the tips of the brush in order to hydrate the lather(face lathered),so I keep working the brush to create this lather and it just never appeared!all I had was a thin foamy kind of soap residue,I retried several times and it was a complete failure,so I did put up with this lather but there was another problem,I had about 30seconds per shave before all that lather disappeared!

I mean seriously,I'm not above and beyond but I have used over 12 soaps so far and never had an experience like this before(well,apart from kingsley),I was wondering if you people had a similar problems and would really appreciate some advice and tips.

I really don't want to end up hating this soap

Cheers
James

It's EEVVILLL!... :mrgreen:

Look for Godrej shave soap..damn cheap and lathers lovely....<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Godrej-Shaving-Round-Soap_p_548.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Godrej- ... p_548.html</a><!-- m -->

Blades

Blades said:
It's EEVVILLL!... :mrgreen:

Look for Godrej shave soap..damn cheap and lathers lovely....<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Godrej-Shaving-Round-Soap_p_548.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Godrej- ... p_548.html</a><!-- m -->

Blades

I've got godrej,used it a couple times,unlike what some say about it,it does lather pretty quickly,so you're saying williams is that bad?how bad?

hunnymonster said:
Use the stiffest brush you have in the house (needn't be a shaving brush - a wire one is perfect) - I think they varnish the soap or something because once you get past the "top layer" it works quite well (not quite on a par with Palmolive stick, but that kind of experience).

Used my stiff omega boar and started very dry,as you say it maybe because of the top layer,so have you had a similar disasters like me? :(

What's doin James,

i don't use Williams, but I've read about it not being the same since it was reformulated a while back. No, I can't tell you exactly when that was, or how the ingredients were changed. I did read a long thread a while back though, in which members went on to highly praise the older stuff.

So, I have something you should try. It's a NOS puck of some Williams from the past, and I'd like to send that out to sample and keep. This one has tallow listed as the first ingredient, which is what you're looking for I believe. If this stuff doesn't do the trick, then probably no Williams puck will. This will be on the house James.

Use the pm feature if that interests you,

Martin

Attachments

• williams 008.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 119
  • williams 006.jpg
  • williams 005.jpg
5-stars.gif

dodgy said:
What's doin James,

i don't use Williams, but I've read about it not being the same since it was reformulated a while back. No, I can't tell you exactly when that was, or how the ingredients were changed. I did read a long thread a while back though, in which members went on to highly praise the older stuff.

So, I have something you should try. It's a NOS puck of some Williams from the past, and I'd like to send that out to sample and keep. This one has tallow listed as the first ingredient, which is what you're looking for I believe. If this stuff doesn't do the trick, then probably no Williams puck will. This will be on the house James.

Use the pm feature if that interests you,

Martin

Very kind of you Martin,based on what you said ity appears williams went down the same road as erasmic,basically cheap and nasty by reformulating and cutting corners,HM said it could have something to do with the top layer of the soap but I very much doubt it because I had another play tonight by palm lathering,not to shave,just see if I can actually get any meaningful lather and it didn't really happen,I like I get is thin foamy stuff that disappears in seconds(known as SLAG in shaving terminalogy I believe),so yeah a bit disappointed to be honest since I had a vintage mug and and a old skool soap to try out tonight :(

trainman said:
The guy in this video says it can be done with a bit of time and effort,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqucNXP7c8Y

Cheers for the link matey,I think I might give it another try in the next few days and see what happens :?

I picked up a few pucks of Williams while I was in LA earlier this year. I find it needs a stiff brush and the usual hard soap ritual of a teaspoon of water on the top for five mins before use. BUT it gives me a crazy lather and is fast becoming a favourite. It reminds me of the soaps I used to use back when I first started wet shaving.

Being down in London I have stupidly hard water maybe that has something to do it?

ebilpirate said:
I picked up a few pucks of Williams while I was in LA earlier this year. I find it needs a stiff brush and the usual hard soap ritual of a teaspoon of water on the top for five mins before use. BUT it gives me a crazy lather and is fast becoming a favourite. It reminds me of the soaps I used to use back when I first started wet shaving.

Being down in London I have stupidly hard water maybe that has something to do it?

You aren't the first one I've seen who's had good luck with the currently made Williams. I haven't tried any, but it sorta gets mixed reviews.

Glad that one works for you,

Martin

After a few more goes and spending a considerable amount of time,this devil did lather but it was a foamy, airy and useless thing which simply disappears from my face after a min,will not bother with it again.... :evil:

Back
Top Bottom